User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ffx2boy
(newbie) Mon 28-Oct-13 11:41:10
Print Post

Suggestions for upstream QOS for Plusnet

[link to this post]

An issue with PlusNet broadband is that PlusNet only QOS within the downstream only. This leaves the upstream unmanaged, PlusNet have said this is due to a bottleneck within their QOS system.
This is an issue for gamers and those who use VoIP as if someone uploads on a PlusNet connection it causes the game to lag or for VOIP it causes voice call break up.

So I want to give PlusNet a suggestion on how they could improve this.
Suggestion

To use the Technicolor TG582n for the upstream QOS.
It is known that the Technicolor TG582n can do upstream QOS as shown by TG582N - Amazing upload QOS! (CLI configuration) thread. http://community.plus.net/forum/?topic=116556.msg100...
What I feel PlusNet should do is they could make a firmware update pre-installing upload QOS rules within the Technicolor TG582n (plus any router going forward. The Technicolor TG589vn v3 ADSL/VDSL Router?) thus fixing the problem with the upload QOS.

Thank you for reading this and await any feedback from PlusNet staff and any of the PlusNet customers on this suggestion.

Edited by ffx2boy (Mon 28-Oct-13 15:03:26)

ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Mon 28-Oct-13 11:58:46
Print Post

Re: Suggestions for upstrem QOS for Plusnet

[re: ffx2boy] [link to this post]

PlusNet have said this is due to a bottleneck within their QOS system.

Not quite, by the time you've reached our network you've gone through the bottleneck already, which is your broadband line. That's always the smallest capacity part between you and the edge of our network.

You can do this via the router as you've already suggested, and I'll make sure our products team are aware of that thread for any future changes to the router/firmware.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User ffx2boy
(newbie) Mon 28-Oct-13 12:08:24
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

Sorry if I have a made a mistake Chris but what about a
firmware like DD-WRT that can do Downstream QOS after it gone through the line?

Edited by ffx2boy (Mon 28-Oct-13 13:09:19)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bet_here
(regular) Mon 28-Oct-13 12:30:03
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

I've been wondering about the QOS settings on my Fritz!Box. It needs to know US and DS speeds, but I'm still using the OR modem.
As PlusNet are managing DS then I've entered 99999 kbit/sec for this. (Connection speed in Member Centre is 78Mb/s)

How do I find out the correct US rate for my connection?

Simon.
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Mon 28-Oct-13 12:38:30
Print Post

[re: bet_here] [link to this post]

Do a few speedtests on this site.
Generally the recommendation is to set the upstream QOS to around 90% of your speedtest value although you could experiment and maybe push it to a higher percentage.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Oct-13 13:24:44
Print Post

[re: bet_here] [link to this post]

Run the BT Wholesale speed tester, ignoring the list of things to do/not do, and click the Further Diagnostics button at the bottom of the results page.

The downstream IP Profile is probably 78 as well, but whatever it is, divide it by 0.9679. The result within a whisker is your DS connection speed. I guess the true value is 79997-79999kbps.

Upstream IP Profile will be 20Mbps and useless, as it is set to that is for 80/20 connections.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User dragon2611
(committed) Sat 02-Nov-13 18:21:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by ffx2boy:
Sorry if I have a made a mistake Chris but what about a
firmware like DD-WRT that can do Downstream QOS after it gone through the line?

That generally works by dropping packets so the sending ends backs off a bit.
Standard User ffx2boy
(newbie) Sun 03-Nov-13 14:13:14
Print Post

[re: dragon2611] [link to this post]

Oh I see, I wonder why PlusNet's QOS system does not do anything like that for the upload side of the connection? Could someone from PlusNet explain why it doesn't?

Also I noticed PlusNet's traffic management pages are a bit out of date because PlusNet made changes in September (due to peak time humps on TBB graphs) that moved some traffic from gold to silver for example FTP traffic was moved to silver but it still lists FTP traffic in gold? See here:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/tr...

Edited by ffx2boy (Sun 03-Nov-13 14:19:32)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 03-Nov-13 14:18:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by ffx2boy:
Oh I see, I wonder why PlusNet's QOS system does not do anything like that for the upload side of the connection?
Because the upload is controlled by the router your end. Can't you just add rules to your router?

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Sun 03-Nov-13 14:19:15)

Standard User ffx2boy
(newbie) Sun 03-Nov-13 14:33:40
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Adding rules to a router does not help the average person with their upload QOS problems.(remember this is a suggestion thread for everyone) not just for 1 person.
I have talked to many people who say they lag every time someone uploads on their connection. so it's clearly a problem that needs fixing.
Also I have seen traffic management systems that can control the upload from the ISP side of the connection meaning it doesn't have to be from the router.

Edited by ffx2boy (Sun 03-Nov-13 21:02:05)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to