User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User semiartificial
(learned) Tue 29-Oct-13 15:33:17
Print Post

Iím considering fibre/PlusNet Ö a couple of questions

[link to this post]

Iím currently with O2 Premium Ö well, Sky I suppose now but Iím not sure that theyíve done whatever they do yet. Iíve been happy with it, stable connection and perfectly good speed for downloads (it tests at 13/14Mb). Where things havenít been ideal is that Wi-Fi is weak in certain parts of the house and non-existent close to the front wall upstairs (so I lose Wi-Fi connection in bed). I managed to get a decent signal to a smart TV in that area by using Powerline homeplugs. When I took up a free trial of Now TV (to get free 3 months PlayStation Plus), the streaming to the TV in the rear extension was not good, regularly buffering even with a pretty poor picture. The router (which was changed to the Technicolor model which O2 supplied last year) is fairly central if you imagine the house front to back, but close to the socket on the side wall, and in a cupboard within a utility room Ė not ideal I know but Iíve ruled out an extension socket as we have wooden floors and visible wires would be a no-no.

So, would having fibre improve things for us?

As a side issue, Iíve been reading a thread here about whatís involved in getting fibre up and running and it seems that an engineer will need to access the master socket. Weíve had cupboards fitted next to it, and the fitters removed a small square to allow access to the socket, but really only big enough to plug in the necessary wire. Is the answer to this issue a ďdata extension kit, now officially called the Home Wiring SolutionĒ? (Iím quoting RobertoS here). Does this just plug into the existing master socket and give the engineer something he can access easily?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Oct-13 17:54:01
Print Post

Re: Iím considering fibre/PlusNet Ö a couple of questions

[re: semiartificial] [link to this post]

Fibre as in FTTC connectivity will do nothing to improve wireless issues, apart from perhaps you switching to a different router or the wireless router moves to a different location.

The data extension kit fits to the connector on the front of the new interstitial plate or the two IDC connector as shown on http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/ as such the new faceplate adds a fair bit of height to the master socket.

So in your case a master socket move is what would be looked at first.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Oct-13 17:56:58
Print Post

You might get better Wi-Fi with a different router or wireless access point - some are better than others. The Technicolor units seem to come in for a lot of criticism for wireless signal strength issues, but that could be because they are a popular choice for a bundled router, so there's an awful lot of them.

Other than trying a different router or wireless access point, your options are limited by you not appearing to be in a position to run any cables and Powerline seemingly not working well in your house.

So far as an FTTC installation goes, the engineer must be able to remove the faceplate of the existing master socket and fit the interstitial filter. This cannot be done without access to the entire frontage of the NTE5 master socket, including the ability to remove the screws. It's possible an engineer would be prepared to abandon the existing master socket and install a new one - but that would almost certainly mean visible wires.

I realise it's done now, but it's a really bad idea to restrict access to the master socket.

The Home Wiring Solution won't help here - that's fitted to the interstitial filter if the modem isn't to be sited at the master socket.

Edited by David_W (Tue 29-Oct-13 18:02:39)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 29-Oct-13 18:09:14
Print Post

FTTC won't make any difference to the wifi as the problem is the signal strength and the particular layout.

What I suggest for that is you get a Wireless Access Point and connect that in a suitable place via a homeplug. Some makes actually have combined homeplug and wifi point.

If you do go to fibre, most people with it here seem to think 500Mbps homeplugs are needed, certainly if you get anywhere near an 80Mbps connection. I expect 200Mbps ones might be OK for a 40Mbps FTTC service.

It might be best to post a couple of pictures somewhere of the access to your master socket and give us a link. It doesn't sound too good to me, as how is the extension going to get out? Which you don't want it to anyway!

How many power sockets are there in that cupboard? Enough space for the two items anyway - modem and router? If so, or if you wait until you can have a combination unit, then there probably isn't a problem with your restricted access, as long as the whole of the master faceplate is visible! I get the feeling it isn't, in which case any fault even now could be a disaster.

Without the HWS, the engineer removes the faceplate, plugs the new filter plate in, and plugs the faceplate into that. So it all just sticks out a bit more.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 29-Oct-13 18:11:07)

Standard User semiartificial
(learned) Wed 30-Oct-13 09:54:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It might be best to post a couple of pictures somewhere of the access to your master socket and give us a link.

I'll do that.
There was a fair bit of discussion about access at the time, but I won't bore you with the details.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Wed 30-Oct-13 21:37:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
FTTC won't make any difference to the wifi as the problem is the signal strength and the particular layout.

What I suggest for that is you get a Wireless Access Point and connect that in a suitable place via a homeplug. Some makes actually have combined homeplug and wifi point.
An old router with DHCP disabled can be used instead of the Wireless Access Point.

Michael Chare
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 30-Oct-13 22:12:16
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Good point, with the subnet's aligned of course. A bit bulkier as well.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to