User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ppppenguin99
(member) Sun 17-Nov-13 08:02:31
Print Post

Sneaky extra broadband charges

[link to this post]

I'm on the 10GB/month BB package and this is usually ample. I'm happy to accept the slowdown for a few days at the end of a billing period if I overrun the allowance so I've set the extra spend allowance to zero. On the rare occasions I've overrun the limit I've had an email telling me so. So far so good.

Yesterday I got an email:

"Dear Mr *******,

Account username: *********

You've now used up your product's broadband usage allowance of 10GB. We've added a further 5GB of usage for the month to your account, which will add a £5.00 charge to your next subscription charge......."

I certainly never chnaged the setting so either they have changed it or they have ignored my setting. I've raised a ticket (77303649 ) which will likely get a reasonable response but I thought I'd air it here in case there's a more widespread issue.

Or perhaps I should ask PN to transfer me to the £2.75/month unlimited deal they have running at present. Wouldn't it be nice if one of the PN guys who do so much good here at TBB arranged that.
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Nov-13 09:42:36
Print Post

Re: Sneaky extra broadband charges

[re: ppppenguin99] [link to this post]

Maybe a short transfer to someone like AAISP (and back as a new customer) would be the way to go, assuming you don't currently have phone service with PN (and don't mind switching the phone line to them).

I was on the 60 GB a/c a year ago, and did the same (set extra spend to nil) so would know how you feel about getting this unexpected + unwanted charge out of the blue.

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Nov-13 09:59:17
Print Post

Is it possible that you made some other change to your account? Any changes tend to reset the extra spend, which is a long-standing complaint.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Mon 18-Nov-13 10:10:16
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Thanks for the insights. Don't recall making any other changes to my account but it's always possible I tweaked soemthing minor. Anyway, it's still sneaky to rest the extra spend limit without explicit action. Haven't had a response to the ticket yet so we'll see.

As for switching away and back that's to much of a faff. I've also got a fair number of referrals and although in theory these are still paid if I leave PN I don't want to lose them accidentally. The fact that the system for paying referrals is broken is a secondary matter. I have a long running ticket which involves regular manual reviews of my referral payments.

In practice if you phone and ask for your MAC the PN guys are usually pretty good about retaining customers.
ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Mon 18-Nov-13 10:10:36
Print Post

Hi ppppenguin99,

I've taken a look at your account, it seems the data transfer watch(extra bb spend) is not set, this was due to an account change in January and this removed any amounts set.

I've reset your usage for this month so the extra charge will not apply and you have your full usage allowance which will again reset on your billing date. If you'd like to move to Unlimited you'd need to do this either via our portal or our support team on 0800 432 0200.

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(member) Mon 18-Nov-13 10:14:46
Print Post

[re: chrispurvey] [link to this post]

Chris, thanks for resolving this, though it doesn't address the underlying issue of making changes which involve money without making this clear to the customer.
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Nov-13 21:22:48
Print Post

It was me that suggested switching ISP, but I know it's a pain. Also appreciate the chance of losing referrals. The 'long standing problem' about changes to the extra spend was news to me, then again I only pop into different web sites from time to time...

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
(member) Wed 20-Nov-13 07:02:04
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

I spoke to a very helpful PN person the other day. He said that the problem with this setting being altered when it shouldn't be had been a problem for some time. I got the impression he wished the relevant people would get on and fix it. Anyway, I asked nicely and next month I should be transferred to the unlimited product on the same terms as a new customer (£2.75/month for a year)

So full marks to PN for a good outcome and full marks also for good communications. I doubt you'd get TT, Sky or BT being this helpful. Marked down for leaving this as a problem for too long..
ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Wed 20-Nov-13 11:23:37
Print Post

It's something that I'll be chasing up, I've no estimated time for a fix but I'll certainly put time aside to implement a fix/change.

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Wed 20-Nov-13 16:06:13
Print Post

[re: chrispurvey] [link to this post]

Unfortunatley as Chris says, this is something we're aware of and really want to get fixed. Hopefully Chris will get this nailed into a project or committed as a problem fix.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
  Print Thread

Jump to