User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fanmail51
(newbie) Mon 18-Nov-13 14:46:48
Print Post

Availability

[link to this post]

Just a quick query for the Rep on here to clear up a few issues if possible. I am nearly at the end of an 18 month contract for fibre optic broadband with talktalk.I have for a few months been looking for an alternative provider and during that search have visited the plusnet website an many occasions, entered my postcode and landline details, and found that fibre broadband was available to me at an estimated speed of 56mbs.However on entering those same details today I found that fibre broadband was no longer available in this area.
I decided to contact plusnet customer services to find the reason in this change in availability. I thought it could be possible be over capacity.
The young lady I spoke to thought there was no fibre to my cabinet, I explained that I had fibre optic for nearly 18 months. Then plusnet probably did not supply fibre to my exchange, that could not be right as I helped my daughter change to plusnet fibre not too long ago, and she lives quite close to me, and to the best of my knowledge there is only one exchange in Scarborough. Then I got confused, she informed me that she had done a line check and that I was not connected to the exchange, I asked for an explanation of that statement as I was conversing with here on the telephone and on the plusnet website. I was asked to hold while she consulted with her manager, a short wait later and the explanation was simple , because I was with talktalk and did not have a bt phone line plusnet were unable to offer me fibre broadband.That is where the conversation ended so I would just like to have that statement confirmed by the rep, and if it is correct is it a fairly new change in policy.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Nov-13 16:57:03
Print Post

Re: Availability

[re: fanmail51] [link to this post]

Hope this is of some use.smile

Alastair

plusnet
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Nov-13 17:23:16
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
Hope this is of some use.smile

Indeed it should be, but it is a shame Plusnet is giving out such duff information on the phone.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Nov-13 18:28:23
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

That's not the only shame as I got my first monthly on-line bill today after paying the initial charge by a plastic card back on the 10th October ....... and guess what, the charge for calls and line rental is fine but the BB charge is way off target, there is something amiss with some of the systems within Plusnet Towers, it's easy to blame "the computer" but the human input is often the cause of the dreaded SNAFU tongue

Alastair

plusnet
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 18-Nov-13 22:00:10
Print Post

It could be the cabinet is full. If it is, the fact you are one of the connections doesn't seem to be factored into the Openreach availability frown. What does this checker say?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User fanmail51
(newbie) Mon 18-Nov-13 23:25:30
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies chaps. Apprentice, thanks for the link to that earlier post, so it would seem that talktalk customers can transfer to plusnet, however because their online checker and their customer services tell me fibre is not available in my area I would not be able to place an order.
RobertoS thanks for the link to the online checker. It would not recognise my telephone number as I do not have a BT line. However the address checker came up with the following information.
FTTC is currently unavailable to your cabinet, capacity will be restored as soon as possible , and there is a date for 27th November for capacity to be restored.

Edited by fanmail51 (Mon 18-Nov-13 23:40:08)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 18-Nov-13 23:26:28
Print Post

Ah - of course. Sorry blush.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 18-Nov-13 23:28:14
Print Post

In your opening post you said you had previously put your landline details into the PlusNet checker and got an estimate?

Try someone else's number in the area. This can happen when the cabinet becomes full, as I said earlier.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 18-Nov-13 23:30:03)

Standard User fanmail51
(newbie) Mon 18-Nov-13 23:46:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks RobertoS , I have just edited my previous reply .It would seem that you were right about it being a capacity problem .As you previously stated , it would seem the fact that I am already connected to the cabinet is not taken into consideration.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 18-Nov-13 23:53:25
Print Post

Well although it's a nuisance, at least it isn't a long-term one smile. If you just keep checking the BT Wholesale checker, then try PlusNet again when that changes, you should be all right.

BT Wholesale may be supplying a different checker/database to ISPs, so it may be at the same time or a few hours later that PN updates.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to