User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Tue 19-Nov-13 10:34:16
Print Post

Incorrectly provisioned?

[link to this post]

My Sync speed dropped from @47000kbps when I was on TalkTalk to 39,995 as soon as I switched to plusnet. Looking at another thread I think this is the cause:

In reply to a post by chrispurvey:
If either your download is above 40Mb/s or your upload is above 10Mb/s then we'll provision you on 80/20, if both are below then it's on 40/10. We can always manually change this to see if there's a difference for you if you're on one of our 'upto 76Mb/s' products.

Can I have the provisioning on my line changed please? Also could you make your call centre staff aware of this.
ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Tue 19-Nov-13 11:24:19
Print Post

Re: Incorrectly provisioned?

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

Your speed estimate was 33Mb/s down and 5Mb/s up that's why it was provisioned on 40/10.

I've placed a modify order to move you to 80/20 which will complete tomorrow.

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Tue 19-Nov-13 11:32:42
Print Post

[re: chrispurvey] [link to this post]

Good Stuff! Thanks Chris. Just out of curiosity - why was the decision made to implement this policy? I can't see the benefit of doing this, especially when the checker is quite conservative in its estimates?

Edited by huwwatkins (Tue 19-Nov-13 11:34:02)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Tue 19-Nov-13 11:56:18
Print Post

I'd assume it was because the Openreach rental charge for 40/10 is £30 less per year than 80/20.
ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Tue 19-Nov-13 13:28:07
Print Post

We've seen many instances where when placed on an 80/20 product in an attempt to get a higher speeds when below the 40Mb/s mark, the speeds has actually decreased as a result.

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User philippercival
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Nov-13 17:10:47
Print Post

Just to bring this problem to the fore, I have also suffered from incorrect provisioning.

I needed to switch my broadband from one line to another and all went perfectly up to the engineers visit. I had been assured by email I would get 56down and 20 up , however on testing it revealed 36/1.8 and he said that was about right as his job sheet said 40/2.

I was on the 80/20 service before.

The real downer is that when I eventually got through to support, I am told it will take up to a week to change this.

http://speedtest.net/result/2459383290.png

Solar Results
Nov  143,  Dec  125,  Jan  77,  Feb 174,  Mar  210,  April 384, May 450, 
June 485, July 512, Aug 433, 
Max Day  25.2
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Nov-13 18:01:18
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by philippercival:
I needed to switch my broadband from one line to another and all went perfectly up to the engineers visit. I had been assured by email I would get 56down and 20 up , however on testing it revealed 36/1.8 and he said that was about right as his job sheet said 40/2.

Plusnet should not be provisioning anybody on 40/2 as they don't offer it any more, only 40/10 and 80/20, so I am surprised their systems put through such an order.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Nov-13 18:16:39
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Yep, 40/2 are no longer in use. Only 40/10 or 80/20.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Standard User philippercival
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Nov-13 20:00:53
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Well I was expecting 80/20 and got 40/2, whether or not they do it any more that is what the BT man was expecting (on his instructions) and what the test reveal. Maybe their system is still set to order this from BT.

message on the plusnet member centre
Thank you for getting back in touch today. I have reviewed your account and as I advised over the phone, the order was placed on 40/2.

It does not alter the fact that they said it would take a week to fix. Which I find stange as when I first signed up to plusnet it was on 40/10. I asked to switch to the 80/20 system on the trial and that as far as I remember took less than a day. I certainly got the impression it was a Plusnet setting and not a BT one, I am not sure what is different now, but I was told it has to go into the queue for BT to fix.

http://speedtest.net/result/2459383290.png

Solar Results
Nov  143,  Dec  125,  Jan  77,  Feb 174,  Mar  210,  April 384, May 450, 
June 485, July 512, Aug 433, 
Max Day  25.2

Edited by philippercival (Tue 26-Nov-13 20:25:25)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 26-Nov-13 23:18:46
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by philippercival:
It does not alter the fact that they said it would take a week to fix. Which I find stange as when I first signed up to plusnet it was on 40/10. I asked to switch to the 80/20 system on the trial and that as far as I remember took less than a day. I certainly got the impression it was a Plusnet setting and not a BT one, I am not sure what is different now, but I was told it has to go into the queue for BT to fix.
Uh oh!

I joined on the 40/2 FTTC, and later moved onto the 80/20 trial. At that time PlusNet did not have a 40/10 product. The 40/10 product was announced at the same time as the non-trial 80/20, PlusNet Extra Fibre.

I was told when that announcement happened that unless I signed up fairly soon to the proper 80/20, my line would drop back to 40/2 as that was what I had signed up to.

I think you were in exactly the same position, and somehow stayed on 80/20 until you came to move your connection to the other line. Hence the engineer job sheet saying 40/2, because that was what you had signed up to - as opposed to what was showing in your Member Centre.

How much per month have you been paying on 80/20? That will tell us whether I'm right or talking rubbish. £16.49 is 40/2, and when you went on the 80/20 trial you would have continued paying that. The 80/20 non-trial product (Extra Fibre) was £19.99 at announcement time.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to