User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ainsley001
(regular) Tue 19-Nov-13 13:49:01
Print Post

Plusnet Router

[link to this post]

I'm with Plusnet on fibre and I have their standard router. The internet connection is absolutely fine, fast and stable, but my home network is annoyingly unstable.

A WiFi printer, Sonos speakers, Windows Homegroup and even just sharing iTunes files between devices with Home Sharing are routinely dropped and usually its only re-booting the router that resolves the issue until the next time it happens, which is usually within several days.

Plusnet did replace the router once already but it's been no better. Is a better router likely to solve the problem (I'm think about something new around the £100-120 mark) or this just a fact of life with different devices all connected to the same network?

(I posted this in the Technical section first but now I can't delete that - sorry for the double post)

Edited by ainsley001 (Tue 19-Nov-13 14:08:33)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Nov-13 16:22:48
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Router

[re: ainsley001] [link to this post]

It is only by experimenting will you find the best hardware for your combination of hardware.

If this is all WiFi based issues and just local LAN traffic, then a wireless access point and one that supports 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands may be the way to go.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Tue 19-Nov-13 18:59:50
Print Post

[re: ainsley001] [link to this post]

You might want to look for answers here:

http://community.plus.net/forum/

It may be that having a 2nd router nearer your home equipment and connected by cable to your first router will help. This 2nd router should have DHCP disabled.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Nov-13 20:34:48
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

If going down the route of repurposing an old router there are a few things to consider

1. Old kit may not have the best wireless speeds
2. http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/wap/configuring-wap.html is a guide for a netgear, but same principles apply with any kit
3. Best bet is find a modern wireless router that has a built in wireless access point mode, or just buy a dedicated access point in the first place

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to