User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bloke_in_a_Shed
(newbie) Thu 21-Nov-13 14:45:38
Print Post

Slower speed please!

[link to this post]

I changed over to PlusNet Essentials in May this year after 4 good years with O2. I'd always had an 8Mb package and was quite happy with the reliability and performance. The connection speed on PlusNet is around 11 or 12Mbs, but the snr is a poor 3dB or so. This area is electrically noisy and 3dB snr leads to instability of connection. Consequently, I've asked PlusNet on a number of occasions to reduce the connection speed or raise the target snr to a minimum of 6dB. This just hasn't happened and one operator even suggested reporting a line fault! They don't seem to understand that high speed is of no use or interest to me, (but stability is) and all I use the connection for, is downloading data sheets, some email and minimal browsing. In most months, my usage doesn't go above 3GB total, often much less. Surely, any ISP must be able to adjust these figures and I'm at a loss to understand why PlusNet don't do this for me. Other than asking them, (which I've done), I can't think of any other way of solving this, except spending money I haven't got, on buying a router I don't want, to try and lock the snr from this end.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Nov-13 15:04:26
Print Post

Re: Slower speed please!

[re: Bloke_in_a_Shed] [link to this post]

They can do it but I think that normally it is done via the faults team.
However the Plusnet reps who frequent here can sort it.
If you post a ticket number from the account they will be able to identify it. Alternatively wait until one turns up and PM him
ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Thu 21-Nov-13 15:19:41
Print Post

If you've a ticket number or PM your username across and happy to take a look at that for you.

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Thu 21-Nov-13 15:59:24
Print Post

[re: chrispurvey] [link to this post]

PM with username sent. Many thanks for speedy response.
ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Fri 22-Nov-13 09:21:13
Print Post

That's hopefully sorted for you now, I've set your SNR to 6dB, I've had to place a modify order on your line to adjust some values that can trigger the DLM to make changes, this won't complete until Monday though, so providing the target SNR is still 6dB then that should be job done.

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(newbie) Tue 26-Nov-13 17:23:02
Print Post

[re: chrispurvey] [link to this post]

Just when I thought it was sorted ---- ! Snr was good over the weekend at a steady 6dB with sync speed over 10Mbs, but was down to 2.5dB at 12Mbs yesterday. Earlier today it was 3.5dB at 11Mbs and I've had some drops in connection over the last hour or so, but snr is still low at 3dB after re-sync. I'd appreciate you having another go at whoever sets the figures and try again to select a target snr of 6dB or, alternatively, to limit the sync speed to around 8.5Mbs if possible.
  Print Thread

Jump to