User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User karim31
(committed) Tue 26-Nov-13 16:53:58
Print Post

Plusnet FTTC unlimited 40% drop in speed overnight !

[link to this post]

Went live on the 19th this month with FTTC unlimited 80/20 , During the installation the Engineer assured me that all the tests he carried showed everything was fine and checked green.
The connection was rock solid with no disconnections at all and downloads consistently around 72Mb, uploads exceeding 18mb.
Today I noticed the speeds were noticeably down so I ran various online speed tests including Plusnet's and the speeds are down to 42 to 43 Mbit ... a huge drop!
My downloads exceeded 8MB/s up to yesterday and now they're hovering around 5MB/s
Plusnet's website still say the line connection is 77.4.
I don't use wireless at home just ethernet and nothing has changed my side except one reboot of my router an hour ago to see if that made a difference but it didn't and the new lower speed remained around 42Mb.
I'm aware that the speeds take some time to settle but a huge drop for a line that has been solid with no issues or disconnections is rather strange.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 26-Nov-13 18:19:47
Print Post

Re: Plusnet FTTC unlimited 40% drop in speed overnight !

[re: karim31] [link to this post]

You need to reboot the Openreach modem - that's what negotiates the speed between you and the cabinet, not the router.

Best to turn it off for a couple of minutes.

Whether or not it will improve things we will have to wait and see until you've done that smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User karim31
(committed) Tue 26-Nov-13 18:55:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks Roberto speeds are now back to what they were yesterday ...I've just ran the thinkbroadband speed test and it gave me 72.65 down and 18.64 up ... so all is back to normal fingers crossed.
I wonder why it reverted to that speed?... could it be the Dslams in the local box self-adjusting? and if so why? I've had no issues on my side and no disconnections.
I didn't want to reboot the modem because I thought that I'm not supposed to during the end of initial couple of weeks until the connection has settled, but now thanks to your advice I'm glad I did.
By the way what is this BT profile that I keep hearing about?.. I've tried the bt wholesale speed test but there was no mention of a profile...just the results of the speed test which closely resemble the thinkbroadband results

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Nov-13 19:36:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by karim31:
I've tried the bt wholesale speed test but there was no mention of a profile...just the results of the speed test which closely resemble the thinkbroadband results

You need to click the Further Diagnostics button at the foot of the results page.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User karim31
(committed) Tue 26-Nov-13 19:55:57
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Cheers kevin , I've just had a look and the profile is 77.44 up and 20 down
so all seems to be well for now... but I'm puzzled why the downstream speed during the test is always slightly higher than thinkbroadband's but the upstream speed is always lower..
In any case if this profile sticks I'll be very pleased...... wait and see... smile
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Nov-13 20:23:42
Print Post

but I'm puzzled why the downstream speed during the test is always slightly higher than thinkbroadband's but the upstream speed is always lower..

It's not worth bothering about, the different speed testers have always varied in their results and the BT one is (for me) particularly idiosyncratic, I only ever use it to confirm the IP profile.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User karim31
(committed) Wed 27-Nov-13 18:19:11
Print Post

I spoke too soon .... The sync speed has again been chopped from 77.4 Mb to 44Mb and this time Plusnet's synch profile has also dropped to 44Mb but BT IP profile is unchanged at 77.44 which leads me to believe this is coming from Plusnet.
I've see similar stories on Plusnet's community forum but not a 40% drop overnight to a Line that has been faultless without any dropouts despite subjecting it to various tests and upstream/downstream stresses.
I tried to reboot the modem and the router but No help this time... I guess it's because the sync speed has now been fixed to 44Mb which is well below the 1% Margin that Plusnet promised during the singing up process.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Nov-13 18:37:09
Print Post

I spoke too soon .... The sync speed has again been chopped from 77.4 Mb to 44Mb and this time Plusnet's synch profile has also dropped to 44Mb but BT IP profile is unchanged at 77.44 which leads me to believe this is coming from Plusnet.

Puzzled by this, normally the IP profile is set from the sync speed once a PPP session has been established, which happens if the router is rebooted (not the modem). Plusnet's line speed is then set from the IP profile. I have never seen an instance of a sync speed being reflected in a Plusnet profile without it also being reflected in the IP profile, it makes no sense.

Ediit: I'm not convinced you mean sync speed - where are you getting it from? For an IP profile of 77.44 the sync speed would be 79999 or 80000.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS

Edited by kasg (Wed 27-Nov-13 18:39:05)

Standard User karim31
(committed) Wed 27-Nov-13 19:02:04
Print Post

I've just ran the test again on BT wholesale performance test:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 42.42 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
Before the drop Plusnet line speed which is based on the sync speed was 77.4 identical to BT profile (above)

but I've checked it again just now it says
Current line speed:
44.4 Mb
I rebooted both the modem and router twice by disconnecting power for at least 3 min but I still get the same results
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Nov-13 19:04:50
Print Post

Right, it's definitely the Plusnet line speed that is restricting you then, I suggest you leave it until tomorrow morning as it ought to sort itself out; if not a post here or, better still, in the Community Forum, should get it fixed quickly for you.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to