User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User holsley
(newbie) Thu 28-Nov-13 09:04:46
Print Post

Plusnet Router - Possible new customer

[link to this post]

I'm currently with BT on their Infinity 2 unlimited package, my contract has now expired with them and I'm looking to possibly move to Plusnet Fibre unlimited. I've contacted BT to ask if they can price match Plusnet, the best they can offer is £25/month on a 12 month contract which includes weekend calls. That's with me paying the line rental in full for the year.

My overall experience with BT has been OK, only a handful of issues but they were early on in the contract.
I don't currently use the Home Hub as I have an Asus AC router, I'd like to know from any Plusnet users what the router is like and do I need to order it? When I've spoke to BT Tech in the past they would only assist me if I had the HH connected, just need to know if this is the same principle with Plusnet?

I will obviously have a MAC code from BT but I'm a little bit nervous about migrating as I ideally need no downtime in the process, I'm under the impression it's just a matter of switching the service over and an engineer shouldn't be required or am I missing something?

One last thing, when the internet is not being used for serious things like work (Netflix). Would I notice any difference with pings in games? When I spoke to BT about moving to Plusnet, he was going on about how the speed and ping times would be really poor in comparison, I just presumed he was trying to keep an existing customer - seems strange though as I thought Plusnet was part of the BT group? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Nov-13 09:36:38
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Router - Possible new customer

[re: holsley] [link to this post]

Why would you want to stop using the Asus?

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Nov-13 09:56:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by holsley:
I don't currently use the Home Hub as I have an Asus AC router, I'd like to know from any Plusnet users what the router is like and do I need to order it? When I've spoke to BT Tech in the past they would only assist me if I had the HH connected, just need to know if this is the same principle with Plusnet?

It's a Technicolor 582n, reviews are mixed, ordered as part of the signup process. Plusnet will support you regardless of which router you use.
I will obviously have a MAC code from BT but I'm a little bit nervous about migrating as I ideally need no downtime in the process, I'm under the impression it's just a matter of switching the service over and an engineer shouldn't be required or am I missing something?

Should be straightforward and fairly seamless.
One last thing, when the internet is not being used for serious things like work (Netflix). Would I notice any difference with pings in games? When I spoke to BT about moving to Plusnet, he was going on about how the speed and ping times would be really poor in comparison, I just presumed he was trying to keep an existing customer - seems strange though as I thought Plusnet was part of the BT group? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Absolute poppycock.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User holsley
(newbie) Thu 28-Nov-13 12:46:35
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Thanks for replies guys, appreciated.

I don't want to stop using the Asus. Just wondering if I need to have the router in case of any issues with the line/service but kasg has confirmed this for me.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 28-Nov-13 13:38:41
Print Post

I started with my own Buffalo router from when I had IDNet FTTC. I took the earlier router from PlusNet just as a standby, as it only cost the postage. Never used it.

Later I upgraded to Unlimited Fibre and took the 582n as that again came free but for the postage.

Then my Buffalo died and I started using the 582n. It works, but I'm not impressed. Last week I bought an ASUS RT-N66U and sailing with that now. ASUS USB-N53 dual band dongle arrived this morning, so installing that is my next step.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Nov-13 14:04:42
Print Post

Just wondering if I need to have the router in case of any issues with the line/service but kasg has confirmed this for me.

Unless it's changed, you have to take the router (for cost of P&P) when signing up for FTTC. At least then you have a spare.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Nov-13 14:08:08
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

... and if you do have issues being able to try swapping the router for diagnostic purposes is always a good idea.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 28-Nov-13 15:31:18
Print Post

When I migrated in, in February 2011, the router was offered but not compulsory. Similarly, when I upgraded in January 2012.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Fri 29-Nov-13 09:53:47
Print Post

Don't have to have the router anymore, so save yourself the postage and just tick or untick the box, can't rememmber which it was, and carry on using the ASUS

Bob WRBRIX
PN Unl.Fibre - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mb/s Avg 74.54/18.62 Mb/s @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway to CIX, ADSL to Nildram, SKY & Be*Unlimited, Fibre to BT
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 29-Nov-13 09:59:59
Print Post

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

Yes, thanks to you and RobertoS, I shall try not to spread that disinformation any more.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to