User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 08-Dec-13 08:02:45
Print Post

Pro add-on to Unlimited

[link to this post]

Note - I'm only interested in the unlimited packages, not allowance ones.

Who has it and who doesn't? ADSLx or FTTC? I'm on FTTC and don't have it.

Who has compared with and without for performance, and what was the conclusion reached?

Thanks smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 08-Dec-13 08:04:10)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 08-Dec-13 20:14:03
Print Post

Re: Pro add-on to Unlimited

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

on the plusnet forum someone reported slow torrent speeds, he upgraded to pro and his speeds increased. That is the only person I found with it tho as most probably find the price a turn off plus plusnet staff stating its useless on the unlimited product.

I found over 10 posts on the plusnet forums from people without it showing silver and bronze traffic running slower than gold traffic, but none of those 10 (except the torrent user) upgraded to pro.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 08-Dec-13 20:55:47
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Were all those on the unlimited product though? We still get people on this forum on about restrictions, and it turns out they are on a legacy product.

Also, the system is designed to favour gold over silver and bronze. I wonder what happened to the gold when they added Pro smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 08-Dec-13 20:57:48
Print Post

ok sorry if I said it wrong.

When i said slower I meant they only had active silver/bronze traffic, not using gold at the same time. So in other words they were failing to get line speed when was "no" competing gold/platinum traffic.

the torrent guy wasnt reporting huge jumps tho, without pro as a % he was getting about 80% of line speed and it went up to low 90s in % with pro addon.

Edited by Chrysalis (Sun 08-Dec-13 20:58:41)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 08-Dec-13 21:19:48
Print Post

Hmmm. That sounds as though the silver and bronze were suffering at the network level. frown. The system does apply there as well as within the connection.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 08-Dec-13 22:24:20
Print Post

I will be a test for this tongue ordered now, sod it.

As I use external ftp a lot I will try it without pro see how it performs. If its slow I will add on pro and see if it improves.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 08-Dec-13 23:19:10
Print Post

Not an easy decision! But you had to decide one way or another some time. I hope all goes well.

It will be interesting if you do give Pro a go after a couple of months even if you feel it's OK without. Your view compared to BT will be useful as well smile.

ISP Representative KellyD
(isp) Mon 09-Dec-13 09:52:48
Print Post

I'm not sure on this. Having a dig to make sure we are clear. The end points have plenty of capacity for Bronze/Silver traffic (unless you happen to connect to something which is oversubscribed following an outage, but that's by design).

I'm wondering if it is result of the queue overhead generally.

Kelly Dorset
Plusnet
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Mon 09-Dec-13 10:03:29
Print Post

Hi, I moved over from BT on 14/11 for BB and 28/11 for phone and so far I haven't seen any difference on download speeds, I don't do a lot of uploads though and no torrents so I won't be paying extra for Pro.

Bob WRBRIX
PN Unl.Fibre - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mb/s Avg 74.54/18.62 Mb/s @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway to CIX, ADSL to Nildram, SKY & Be*Unlimited, Fibre to BT
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Dec-13 20:16:22
Print Post

My connection to the 20CN exchange is around six kilometres long, I'm on the PN unlimited BB package haven't bothered with the Pro add-on ....... I don't think it will upgrade my connection that much laugh

So I'll stay on the default PN downgrade connection unless PN let me try the Pro add on FOC for a month tongue

Alastair

plusnet
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to