User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User coops555
(newbie) Sun 08-Dec-13 20:49:58
Print Post

plusnet 0.2mbs..engineer visit

[link to this post]

I've had PlusNet broadband since 2011...sometimes it goes offline for short periods but overall I've ben pretty happy with the service. However last week I noticed my pc was streaming very sowly..10 minutes to watch a 2 minute YouTube clip etc. etc. carried out a speed check using the u switch and which websites speed tests..I found out that I'm only getting 0.2 on download speeds.
I contacted plusnet via the online helpage(call centre wait was too long, always 60 mins waiting time voice automation informs me).Today it was finally tested after a week of waiting to be told that the problem might be my end and that an engineer visit will be required ,and if the fault is with my set up, connection or equipment I will be charged £60.They did suggest try a new router but seeing as I have only had one they supplied surely t I live in Birmingham , so if anyone has any idea of poor plusnet service and if talk talk is any good ...hope that makes sense and thanks for any advice in advance.hey should supply a test replacement at least!. I am worried that they will charge me this £60 regardless of what they do, as I am not sure as to what they mean exactly. Is it belter to trust PlusNet or would I be better off just switching to a new provider such as talk talk, and get new router and installation anyway?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 08-Dec-13 21:06:57
Print Post

Re: plusnet 0.2mbs..engineer visit

[re: coops555] [link to this post]

I think I've straightened out your post, see below with the modified quote. (Do you have a touchscreen by any chance? That often causes my typing to go like yours).

That £60 is part of what Openreach charge Plusnet if the problem is your side of the test socket inside the master socket. Many ISPs pass on the full amount, and all warn you about it beforehand, just to make you aware it can happen.

I don't remember hearing of any Plusnet customers being charged it when the problem is the test socket or further out from them.

You or a neighbour didn't put up lots of flashing Christmas lights at the time this started I hope?

I'm surprised you weren't offered a test router.
In reply to a post by coops555:
I've had PlusNet broadband since 2011...sometimes it goes offline for short periods but overall I've ben pretty happy with the service. However last week I noticed my pc was streaming very sowly..10 minutes to watch a 2 minute YouTube clip etc. etc. carried out a speed check using the u switch and which websites speed tests..I found out that I'm only getting 0.2 on download speeds.
I contacted plusnet via the online helpage(call centre wait was too long, always 60 mins waiting time voice automation informs me).Today it was finally tested after a week of waiting to be told that the problem might be my end and that an engineer visit will be required ,and if the fault is with my set up, connection or equipment I will be charged £60.They did suggest try a new router but seeing as I have only had one they supplied surely they should supply a test replacement at least!. I am worried that they will charge me this £60 regardless of what they do, as I am not sure as to what they mean exactly. Is it belter to trust PlusNet or would I be better off just switching to a new provider such as talk talk, and get new router and installation anyway?

I live in Birmingham , so if anyone has any idea of poor plusnet service and if talk talk is any good ...hope that makes sense and thanks for any advice in advance.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Dec-13 21:22:42
Print Post

Let's see what you are really getting at the router for starters. Can you post your router stats, with the router connected at the hidden test socket behind the removable faceplate(s)? That will eliminate your own wiring for which the £60 could be charged.

How to get your router line stats

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 08-Dec-13 21:24:18)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Dec-13 21:38:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I just had a shocking few weeks service from plusnet but the last few days everything has calmed down

I have had to ask CS to increase upstream, reduce snrm and drop interleaving and now everything back to normal

att 23
snrm 3
sync 18000

ping is sub 15ms

I am a happy man again !

as for your problems

I suggest trying a different router, test socket from master socket, quiet line test (17070 on phone then option 2) and post up your line stats

keep away from talk talk

KRO BCFC smile

BQM
Standard User coops555
(newbie) Sun 08-Dec-13 22:42:48
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

no not a touch screen and the quote looks exactly the same lol...no they nevber offered a test router,but did suggest i procure one from somewhere just to check and see if it is the router..
Standard User coops555
(newbie) Sun 08-Dec-13 22:44:25
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

Thanks, i'm trying to get that to work but cant ..page won't load grr probably because of the poor connection
Standard User coops555
(newbie) Sun 08-Dec-13 22:50:59
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

no flashing lights, no idea why seemed to be ok then it just went slow...I'm just concerned that they will try and charge the £60 no matter what they do...Im not well versed in engineer speak,..

they have completed a test.and in the member centre pages i recieved a graph..nice!! makes no sense to me but at the bottom in red it says
"CIDT FAULT - HIGH RESISTANCE IMBALANCE DETECTED"
Standard User coops555
(newbie) Sun 08-Dec-13 22:57:06
Print Post

thats an online test, not an engineer visit test
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Dec-13 23:19:53
Print Post

That's not what I asked you. I asked you to get your router stats. W/out them we are unable to help you properly.

Can you try to use the 'Reply' button on the post you actually want to reply to and not just the last post? It will be clearer and the poster you are replying to will be notified that he has a reply.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 08-Dec-13 23:24:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by coops555:
no not a touch screen and the quote looks exactly the same lol...no they nevber offered a test router,but did suggest i procure one from somewhere just to check and see if it is the router..
[cough] tongue
You have:-
... surely t I live in Birmingham , so if anyone has any idea of poor plusnet service and if talk talk is any good ...hope that makes sense and thanks for any advice in advance.hey should supply ...
which is what happens to me on a touchscreen if my cuff catches the trackpad.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to