User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User oshb5ems
(newbie) Mon 16-Dec-13 12:13:37
Print Post

Possible Fibre or?

[link to this post]

Hi All

I'm thinking I might have to get Fibre BB . First some background info I'm a happy member of Plus.net (Or should I say Force9 as it used to be and is still based at F9's original location?) And Iv been with them for over 14 years Yes 14 Iv not made a typo. And its not because I cannot be bothered about changing or even looking . As Iv just always seem to get what I have asked for and good deals, ( I did say used to did I not LOL) Well I started as a customer of Force 9 when they used to sell computer parts from a shop in the Old Brewery Yard in Worksop And then grew and grew I first got Internet when it was a 2400 over the phone modem then 14400 then 28.800 all over the phone. Then BB I use a lot of data so consider my self as a heavy user but the speed has never been a issue simply because what I have wanted has never been time reliant.

That said I used to have a old type of F9 account called premier (Which was unlimited but had a policy of acceptable usage LOL)And was £21 a month which was just my BB So was plus the line rental on top and I used to only get just over 0.5Mbs speed d/l. That was a few years ago however due to the help of a few guys on here that made suggestions and by trial and error managed to get the speed up to just over 3Mbs which was great.
Plus a chat or two with customer support and being a loyal customer I got my costs down somewhat. Hence personally I dont have a harsh word to say about Plus.net service and support as when I have ever asked far any help its always been forthcoming no mater what time of the day or night I have rung in. I know the ticket system is little bit behind but you do still have the option to call support if you think its urgent don't you?.

Anyway I stayed on the high price plan even though it was outdated and only gave me 20Gb Peak D/L as per acceptable use policy usage. Which was being pushed at that time a few years ago.. But I kept it simply because the terms of off peak I got which was so good and was 12 midnight till 4pm the following day and used to help with what I needed seeing all off peak d/l was free and as I got up at around 7.30 then found what I needed it then took quite a few hours to d/l to my system so was done around 3pm so worked out right and i used to be able to d/l well over a 100Gb this way which was good seeing has I had a 20gb !!! cap..
Anyway service then offered me a great deal on actual unlimited which I would have been a fool to turn down Originally they wanted me to commit to a 18month deal/contract but after talking and explaining about my loyal service I had spent with them they waived it and I took the deal

Also around the same time found out how to use and automate rss and get what I wanted as soon as it came available so now most of what I used to search for in the mornings and get is most of the time already done by the time I get up. Well I say done It actually in my seedbox by then and I have to get it to my system. I got a seedbox simply to buffer my downloads from the internet to my system and with me being able to d/l into my seedbox up to 100Mbs and also it can hold 1TB so I have plenty of on-line space and speed should I ever need it but its nice being able to see everything in one place and to be able to download it at my leisure if you see what I mean? I would love to be able to automate this part of the procedure. This being the download from the seedbox to my system but to date Iv not found any way to do it as yet. But if anyone out there can suggest or give me any pointers on how to do this I would be very grateful. But again there is no urgency and no time restraints as its simply for leisure purposes so will be watched when its done

However now with everything going "SMART" things are changing. This things I D/L are fine and I can still watch them just fine having got them onto my system I can watch them at my leisure Its amazing just how many you-tube videos there are on any one subject no matter how obscure it may be. Plus those videos that are out there to help or learn you do this that and the other. I bet the real number that is available is so large it would be incomprehensible. But like I said I can D/L and watch what i want over my Roku or the £10 Now TV box from my system via Plex and provided my system can keep up with the transcoding then fine its great and there is no buffering. I can even watch some of the channels available like BBC i player, Demand 5 or TED but provided its kept to low def. But as soon as I switch from watching what's on my sys or the low def channels to the other channels that are available such as Netflix, Flixster and so on I might as well give up. As it is forever buffering with a few seconds of video in-between . My seedbox cannot help me here no matter unless I wait and search for what I wanted to watch then D/L it and then watch it But this the grey area of naughty so the speed issue has finally caught up and I find myself lacking some what and in need of more speed when I have resisted for so long. So the hunt for Fibre BB service starts.

I had though of asking for a deal. But as Fibre optic BB is quite new I thought there would be no deals as such forthcoming at this time and with me already being a member already is where we seem to loose out on the carrot on a stick tactics that are used to entice new customers And we don't seem to be able to get these deals do we? So its going to be a search round of all the ISPs that provide unlimited BB over Fibre and see who offers what the best deals around Then see if they can match or beat any of the offers As I would like to stay here and dont really want to go to a new ISP who you don't know what the service and supports liek. You can read its good just the same way as you can read its bad but its a tottaly different thing to actually have to use them and if you have signed a 18month contract its a hell of a long time to be in a situation like that LOL. I mean like I said I have never had any issues here with our Service and support but there are plenty that have. and have voiced their opinions and I suppose put many potential new customer off joining.

So If anyone has got any ideas as to a good ISP with a good price as well as good service offering Fibre BB then I would be much obliged if you could pass me the info for me to check out for myself
And Finally after all my blabbering on lets say that I stay here and take the FTTC I have heard lots about the supplied router and that it is ( I will not use the word unusable as I know it works so it is usable. Also some have put unsuitable for the job at hand or that it is lacking) So I will just say suspect? The modem sound fine and I have not read any bad reports about that just the actual router? So I will ask what is everyone using? If not the supplied unit then what in its place or have you any suggestions as what to possible replace it with?
The set up I have at present dictates that I have the router about 4-5 meters from the main telephone socket which is done via a hard wired Cat 5 which is terminated into the master socket at the moment but in the case of Fibre would be modem at the phone socket and then router placed in the present location Just in case this set-up makes the router suggestion any different that is? On installation I could have it all set up at the phone end and move the router at a later time Then would you suggest changing the Cat5 to cat 6 or will it be OK?

Thanks for listening and sorry for my rambling on and on

Regards Oli...
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Dec-13 13:05:52
Print Post

Re: Possible Fibre or?

[re: oshb5ems] [link to this post]

Where amongst all that is the point of that post?

I guess the answer is PN FTTC!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Dec-13 13:59:44
Print Post

tg582n is supplied router - standard amongst most isps, used on either adsl / vdsl. Vdsl requires addtional modem unless you use say 2850vn draytek

I dont understand why your using network cable as an internal extension from the master socket when the router should be next to the master socket and using the internal cable as a standard patch cable to your PC / laptop, if you need more than one connection then buy a cheap 5 port switch

and plusnet fttc seems one the cheapest concerning unlimited usage, also flexibility of moving home within contract term was a big plus for me, hence the reason I have backed down from leaving and signed up to the fttc deal

KRO BCFC smile

BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User oshb5ems
(newbie) Mon 16-Dec-13 15:59:42
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Stanman_24:
I dont understand why your using network cable as an internal extension from the master socket when the router should be next to the master socket and using the internal cable as a standard patch cable to your PC / laptop, if you need more than one connection then buy a cheap 5 port switch

The only reason for the router being there is that everything terminates there. All wiring to a patch panel from radio shack and desktop PCs Radio linking setup.Via Echolink. DVR, and two IP cameras, Network phones but I dont use them now. And thought better of it to have it higher up so the WiFi works better?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 16-Dec-13 18:03:43
Print Post

Before we assume anything, have you checked you can get FTTC and what is the estimate? The best checker is the BT Wholesale one.

I would say your choice is between PlusNet and Sky. Sky has the drawback of making your phone line LLU which can make leaving a little more complicated. But I believe not as bad as it used to be. The alternatives are BT and TalkTalk.

I first had FTTC with IDNet, before Plusnet had it available. After the twelve month term I decided that is was too expensive. I couldn't make my mind up between BT and Plusnet but a conversation with sales at both soon made my mind up. BT were clueless and condescending, not believing even at supervisor level that I was on FTTC somewhere else. "Only from BT", anyone? Even their own staff were not briefed that Infinity may be, but that is just their product.

I upgraded from 40/10 with an allowance like yours to 80/20 unlimited eleven months into my 18-month term I was so confident about Plusnet.

The 582n router I find dodgy for wireless - I think that's all that gets to most people until we get to sophisticated stuff. I replaced it a few weeks ago with an ASUS RT-N66U and can't fault that so far.

I hope that helps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Dec-13 18:05:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

582n was [censored] on o2 adsl2+

cheap budget entry router

I am using 7800n, should be interesting with ewan on 80mb

KRO BCFC smile

BQM
Standard User philippercival
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Dec-13 14:40:24
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

PN supplied me with a Netgear WRN1000. The wireless is N150. I do not use the wireless for anything other than phones as all computers are wired. Happy with the router.

http://speedtest.net/result/2459383290.png

Solar Results
Nov  143,  Dec  125,  Jan  77,  Feb 174,  Mar  210,  April 384, May 450, 
June 485, July 512, Aug 433, 
Max Day  25.2
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Dec-13 17:45:32
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

That was what I got when I first joined. The wireless on that was poor as well.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to