User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Gravy
(regular) Tue 17-Dec-13 13:31:54
Print Post

Can plusnet deliver 80Mb Fibre

[link to this post]

Hi.

I'm looking around for a new ISP as I want to switch to Fibre. Currently with Sky and they could offer me 38Mb fibre for £20.

But PlusNet are offering 80Mb for £20.

can they really deliver on that?

Do they have a higher contention rate than others (Sky)?

Seriously interested.

Thanks for your help.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Dec-13 13:40:14
Print Post

Re: Can plusnet deliver 80Mb Fibre

[re: Gravy] [link to this post]

the speed depends on your distance from the cab
Standard User Gravy
(regular) Tue 17-Dec-13 13:48:49
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

I was concerned that I decide to opt for the 80Mb speed but then find that PlusNet could only provide my with say 30Mb due to load on their system rather than quality and distance from the cab.

Anyone already have the 80Mb fibre from PlusNet? Is it good?

Cheers

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 17-Dec-13 14:02:03
Print Post

the actual contention ratio is an unknown.

sky dont actively advertise their fiber pro product as they dont seemkeen on selling it whilst plusnet do.

as stated the line speed will be dependent on line quality, distance and crosstalk levels,. a checker will give you an estimated speed.

If you start an order on the plusnet site it will give you an estimate at the first stage. Or you can use the bt wholesale adsl checker (which also estimates FTTC).

Actual speeds vs line speed is dependent on various factors but the plusnet staff state line speed is expected on the unlimited product as long as the end point can keep up, and assuming no network outages.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User philippercival
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Dec-13 14:13:21
Print Post

As oldjim said it depends on your distance from the cabinet and the condition of your line. I am on the 80/20 product and actually get about 51/17. I have read lots of posts in the past where people say they are getting 77 down on Plusnet.

Basically an excellent service, though recently they I think have gained a lot of new customers and their support system has become overloaded. To counter this they are opening a new support centre, which I think will be on stream very shortly. Having said that when I have got through to support (or sometimes posted a message here), they have been very good.

The nature of a forum such as this is almost certainly the posts that are made are bias towards people who have had some thing go wrong, though this would be true of all the ISP forums.

http://speedtest.net/result/2459383290.png

Solar Results
Nov  143,  Dec  125,  Jan  77,  Feb 174,  Mar  210,  April 384, May 450, 
June 485, July 512, Aug 433, 
Max Day  25.2
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Dec-13 14:31:42
Print Post

The first thng to check is your fibre estimate. The best checker is the BT Wholesale one.

In your case, if you have your phone line rental with Sky, it will not recognise it. So if it doesn't, then use the Address checker option. Do not use the pure Postcode checker as that is highly unreliable in many areas.

Sky do provide the 80/20 service as well. Link. It may be however that the estimate for your line is below 40Mbps - see my first link. In which case they won't have offered you the 80/20. It costs £30 as well.

It's also possible it isn't available via their online ordering system. It certainly used to be by phone order only.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Dec-13 15:41:30
Print Post

I seem to get full speed all the time. No signs of congestion at all.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3170973854.png

Remember that Plusnet are owned by BT, hence they buy their capacity alongside BT's own Retail arm. Nice volume discounts mean they can afford to charge less.

They I'm sure do run on a higher contention ratio than Sky, however Sky necessarily attract heavy downloaders due to their advertising so it all seems to balance out.
Standard User Gravy
(regular) Tue 17-Dec-13 15:43:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Perfect. thanks so much for all your answers.

I think I will phone Sky tonight and see if they will do me a deal on the 80/20 product smile
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Dec-13 16:31:23
Print Post

Hi,

Never really had any problem with Plusnet's 80/20 product, it runs at full speed (in the mid-60s for me because of my distance from the cabinet) all the time.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Dec-13 17:47:48
Print Post

Check the estimate! I gave you the link.

Pointless getting 80/20 if your line can only do 40/10. 80/20 doesn't double speeds! It just removes the cap.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 17-Dec-13 17:48:34)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to