User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 31-Dec-13 09:32:23
Print Post

migrated but more issues

[link to this post]

Sadly the problems continue.

After having to ring up to get my account activated I am speedtesting at under 8mbit/sec.

Next the option to get a static ip doesnt seem visible, the instructions state.

Plusnet Unlimited / Unlimited Fibre

Go to Add-Ons, which you'll find under Connection Settings in My Account

From here, you can see your current IP address settings. Switch between static and dynamic by clicking the button.

There is no addons button.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 31-Dec-13 09:32:34)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 31-Dec-13 09:44:53
Print Post

Re: migrated but more issues

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Chris fixed on plusnet forums.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 31-Dec-13 10:36:18
Print Post

With VM's sticky IPs there was little need for static - good job too as you could only get one on business I think but I noticed the Plusnet ones most certainly weren't sticky so running a TBB monitor would have been problematic.

From what I can make out Plusnet have a couple of quite big minus points - long response time on phone and to tickets and very slow following of the BT profile. My account hadn't been set up so I got no connection after the install but that too got fixed through the forum. I reckon if I get problems that will be an early port of call for me as it was with VM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 31-Dec-13 10:42:12
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

well I havent tested at peak yet and I am seeing performance issues on ssh, which I commented on in the pro addon thread. HTTP is ok so far tho as expected.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 31-Dec-13 11:24:22
Print Post

I haven't done any testing of my own at all apart from a few speed tests early on but as you know the SamKnows box runs periodic tests all around the clock and that hasn't even hinted at the sort of congestion my VM connection suffered. Amazingly the improvement on that continued from just after I ordered FTTC right through till it was disconnected so I'm guessing they must have done a split.

I wonder if the Plusnet shaping is misclassifying your ssh. You can get a breakdown of your traffic types at https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/inde... (you'll obviously need to log in).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 31-Dec-13 11:36:56
Print Post

As per kwikbreaks, I wonder if your ssh on non-standard ports is being wrongly classified. If it is, that sort of thing is often fixed by the Digital Care team - the official name for the forum reps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-Dec-13 12:07:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The trouble is that SSH I believe is encrypted and so if it isn't using the standard port then DPI can't inspect the packet to see what it is and therefore can't set the appropriate priority?
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 31-Dec-13 12:13:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

it shouldnt matter tho as apparently bronze should still run fine.

I am waiting till tonight before upgrading to pro as I want to see first if it gets worse during peak.

of course there may be another reason why I am seeing these issues but was fine last night before migration and I am seeing the issue on multiple servers.

and yes ssh is encrypted.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited BQM

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 31-Dec-13 12:14:12)

ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Tue 31-Dec-13 12:14:20
Print Post

Bronze traffic should still run fine yeah, I'm just wondering if we've got your line profile set wrong on our side which might be causing some packet loss. Let me check.

Nope, seems correct from here.

Let us know how your testing goes.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email

Edited by chrisparr (Tue 31-Dec-13 12:14:59)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 31-Dec-13 12:30:42
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

I'm wondering if something odd was happening yesterday evening Chris, as my BQM shows significant latency hillocks. It hasn't done that for many months, and I wasn't doing anything to cause it. (Did you read chrysalis's more detailed post in the other thread?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to