User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User oshb5ems
(newbie) Mon 06-Jan-14 08:09:42
Print Post

D/L Speed

[link to this post]

Hello every one in this new year.

Just a quick question please. If I was to try a different modem could it possibly increase or decrease my d/l rate? That is to say I am normal copper Unlimited usage and get approx 3Mbs D/L rate?.
I just wondered if there was any way other than moving to Fibre to get the speed up at all.

Thanks Osh.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Jan-14 08:46:23
Print Post

Re: D/L Speed

[re: oshb5ems] [link to this post]

If you post the information asked for here we may be able to give you some advise.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User oshb5ems
(newbie) Mon 06-Jan-14 17:27:58
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Hi All

Here are the stats you asked for Thanks.

First from My Account I got this
High-speed Broadband

Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
3.1 Mb

From BT speed Test

Broadband Speed Test Results
Download speed (Mbps): 2.98
Upload speed (Mbps): 0.30
Ping Latency (ms): 59.50

From the Modem
DSL Connection

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 7:35:37
Modulation: G.992.3 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 3,399
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 229.38 / 3.60
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.0 / 51.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.5 / 15.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 70 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 80
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 41

And Iv been with Force9/PlusNet for over 13 years and well over 5 years on this Modem/router

As well as the slow speeds I do tend to drop my line quite regularly I do get the odd 5-6 days up but most resets dayly and sometime a few times daily ? frown

Regs Osh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Jan-14 18:20:01
Print Post

This is why your default noise margin has been increased to 15dB
You need to raise a disconnections fault with Plusnet - https://faults.plus.net
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Jan-14 20:10:42
Print Post

As Jim has said the disconnections are causing your speeds to be lower. To answer your original question, if you have suspicions about your router it could be that a different one will hold sync better which would lead to better speeds. It might be worth borrowing one to test.

Do you use wireless to the router? If you don't the Plusnet router is absolutely fine for wired connections and it will only cost you the P&P.

jelv

Standard User oshb5ems
(newbie) Mon 06-Jan-14 22:42:03
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Hi

Right I understand the 15Db is because the disconnections.

Also I use Wireless more than anything else What with having a daughter with Iphone Tablet and having to do lots of homework on her laptop. Plus I have the TV things RoKu which are wireless and so is the printer And finally my laptop although I can get to it with cat 5 if needed,

I do have a Linksys thats around the same age It might be a year or so newer I can set that up and give it a try ?

With the disconnections could it be my router or could it be at plus.nets end Jim? and would it be best to try out another modem/router first or put a question to plus.net first?

Thanks. Osh
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Jan-14 22:50:02
Print Post

The usual reason for high noise levels which lead to disconnects, higher target noise margin, and lower sync rate are the home internal wiring. Although a faulty router or even a faulty line are possibilities you'd be best advised to start checking with your internal phone wiring - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm Eliminating plug in extensions and/or the ring wire on hard wired ones usually brings an improvement.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 06-Jan-14 23:19:22
Print Post

If you can get the disconnections sorted, you are looking at 5Mbps sync instead of the 3399kbps.

Have a read of the first three and the last topics on this page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User oshb5ems
(newbie) Tue 07-Jan-14 08:14:53
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Hi and thanks for the reply.

Its funny you should say about the internal wiring. quite a few years ago. I had this same conversation I was only getting just over 1/2Mb upload and I ripped out all the wiring and hard wired the router/Modem(which is still the same one) into the master socket with a long cable that was terminated with the modem plug at the modem end but pushed into the master plug with the proper BT inserting tool. ( I did it right as I used to have to do some Telecoms wiring as part of my job many years ago. I was a Alarm installer so had to hard wire alarm panels into the phone system for 999/alarm receiving centres to be made and still have the gear.
Anyway The modem is upstarirs and at the time got it up from 0.6Mbps to just under 2.5Mbps that if I remember right was around 3 1/2 4 years ago But since hasonly gone up to just over 3Mbs. Also Im sure at one stage It did get up to just over 5Mbps for a short time but then went back down to the 2.8 - 3.1 I get now. Dont get mewrong It almost does everything I want it to I get all I need It even does I Player and the odd 4OD but if I dare use it to have a look at Netflicks or any of the other channels I can get on my RoKu then it turns round and laughs at me.Even some times when I try and stream you tube videos it sits and buffers LOL But I would think 5Mbps might be ok for some of those I have just mentioned. I mean I dont need them by any means it might be nice to just be able to look and see something then know you could watch it,
And with my illnesses and the medication that I am on I dont get that much sleep and am not very mobile at all so the TV is a major part of my day.

I know Fibre would sort it all out but unfortunately not a option as other things come first im afraid. .I will try and get my bits/internal lines tested I think I should still be able to get to them as they are not down to low and see what I come up with.
Then go from there.after I have let you know.

Regs Osh

In reply to a post by kwikbreaks:
The usual reason for high noise levels which lead to disconnects, higher target noise margin, and lower sync rate are the home internal wiring. Although a faulty router or even a faulty line are possibilities you'd be best advised to start checking with your internal phone wiring - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm Eliminating plug in extensions and/or the ring wire on hard wired ones usually brings an improvement.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jan-14 10:07:06
Print Post

Is the extension wire you used twisted pair?

jelv

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to