User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Craig4646
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Jan-14 23:02:18
Print Post

Moving home when to order

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have just exchange contracts on my first home and are completing at the end of this month. As this is my first home (and been living with parents saving) I do not have a broadband service to transfer.

I have checked the new property address and the BT wholesale checker informs I am in a Fibre area (via address checker) and I am looking at ordering Plusnet fibre unlimited. I am keen to try and get internet set up within the few days after I move as I will have a couple of days off work.

All the FAQs and information I can find is on house moves where you are transferring your exiting service to the new property to give as much notice as possible to make sure the service is up and running soon after moving. Does anyone know if I can order plusnet fibre now or do I need to wait until I move in before ordering? As I dont have a current service to have moved.

If I am able to order now can I just use the normal website or do I need to call Plusnet?

Many thanks

Best Regards

Craig

Edited by Craig4646 (Mon 06-Jan-14 23:03:15)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 06-Jan-14 23:14:39
Print Post

Re: Moving home when to order

[re: Craig4646] [link to this post]

Your best option is a "Simultaneous Provide", where the phone line and FTTC get installed on the same day.

PlusNet do them, but not via the online system. With a bit of luck, some time tomorrow one of the reps will see this thread and get talking to you on what is the best way forward smile.

Big step, your first own place. Good luck! It'll be great.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jan-14 14:26:11
Print Post

My own recent experience of lead times is 3 weeks from order - but, if there is an existing service on the line in the property you may not be able to order until the current owners cancel their own line.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Tue 07-Jan-14 19:27:59
Print Post

Does the property have a phone line?

Michael Chare
Standard User Craig4646
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-Jan-14 14:27:04
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Thanks All for your replies...

Hopefully someone from Plusnet will come onto the forums soon to advise on a Simultaneous Provide so I can order with enough notice.

The property does have a phone line and is in a Virgin Media area. However I assume the current owners are using the BT phone line as when I go into the online ordering with Plus net (via address) it says there is an active phone line and if I would like to switch the service.. ofcourse I havn't actually ordered from this but orginally tried it to see what services were avaliable.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jan-14 14:37:53
Print Post

You need to make sure the existing occupiers cancel the existing service on time. You could face a delay of 10 working days before you can take over the line.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Thu 09-Jan-14 17:00:09
Print Post

Hi there, sorry for the delay in replying. We can do a sim provide on fibre with a working line takeover, though the lead time would be at least two weeks and we'd have to book an afternoon appointment for the install for various reasons, best summarised as it being the best way to prevent problems where the engineer arrives while the line is still being switched and therefore not being able to complete the work.

Basically if you place the orders for both we'll place a sim order by default, but best to order with at least two weeks in hand.

Hope that helps explain.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Galoka
(newbie) Thu 09-Jan-14 23:31:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by Craig4646:
However I assume the current owners are using the BT phone line as when I go into the online ordering with Plus net (via address) it says there is an active phone line and if I would like to switch the service.. ofcourse I havn't actually ordered from this but orginally tried it to see what services were avaliable.

AIUI you won't be able to order anything until you take over the line (certainly when we moved here 9 years ago we couldn't do anything until we had moved in. Normally when you move in, but as this is your first house, you might not be moving as soon as the current owners move out I guess.

All you can is do it as soon as you can once they have moved andput up wioth the wait.
Standard User Craig4646
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Jan-14 14:14:28
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

Just signed up explaining i would need a sim provide and moving to a new house.. Order was accepted and given an activation date of afternoon 3rd Feb for the internet a couple of days after I move in which is good.

Hopefully it will all go through ok.

Thanks for all the replies

Craig.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 10-Jan-14 15:15:36
Print Post

Good luck.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to