User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Gunnzie
(newbie) Thu 09-Jan-14 20:06:56
Print Post

Sky To Plusnet?

[link to this post]

I am currently on Sky Broadband (not Fibre) LLU plus Sky Talk. I want to move to Plusnet Fibre and calls but don't want any loss of service. Is this possible?

I have read conflicting stories as to whether this can be done. Also differing stories on whether I should get a MAC code from Sky or even tell them at all to make sure they don't put a cease order on the line.

Could someone please let me know what the best course of action is. Thanks. Obviously I would want to cancel my contract with Sky as soon after ordering Plusnet as possible but not if it causes problems.

Edited by Gunnzie (Thu 09-Jan-14 20:11:13)

Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jan-14 20:40:20
Print Post

Re: Sky To Plusnet?

[re: Gunnzie] [link to this post]

Not exactly the same scenario as you, but I just moved from Sky to BT (fibre with both providers). I had no downtime, never spoke to sky and my billing for broadband/phone was stopped on the migration date (a refund was given in the following period as you pay in advance)

I don't think you need a MAC as your line is full LLU.

Kris

BT Infinity 2
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Jan-14 00:18:10
Print Post

If you are full LLU then you wont get a MAC code from sky as the MAC code system doesn't apply to fully unbundled connections, There are some sky customers who are not fully LLU they are connected to the legacy easynet LLU kit (SMPF) in the exchange,as there are still some exchanges without the more up to date Sky SVBN LLU kit installed,
As for down time yes there will be some as the FTTC instalation involves some physical re jumpering of the D'side pair at your PCP cab , and a filtered face plate and bt openreach modem at your home if (SMPF) partial llu
But if you are Full llu there maybe more than this on the xdsl side of things

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 10-Jan-14 00:20:08)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DJS
(member) Mon 13-Jan-14 09:43:43
Print Post

When I moved from Sky to Plusnet last year there was no down-time at all. I hope that helps.

Regards

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Jan-14 10:09:03
Print Post

[re: DJS] [link to this post]

Then I'm guessing you weren't moving fron ADSL to FTTC because as the earleir post said that invoves jumpering at the cab. You also get a replacement faceplate.
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-Jan-14 18:56:43
Print Post

Having no downtime is not actually achievable.

that said.

a) Phone. This will be re-jumpered in the exchange and then will start again. I assume you are looking to move sky talk back to BT and or some other telephone provider, based on the BT service. When I went from BT to sky the phone line was off for about 10-15mins, while the work was done.

b) Broadband. If is normal ADSL BB (not fibre) you get sent a modem. On the day of change, at some point the SKY broadband stops. You then need to plug in the plusnet modem and start BB again. I left for work and when I came home the BT based BB was off and the SKY one was installed. Again in reverse it should take the engineer 10-15mins to do the work.

c) for FTTC its the same as Broadband, but you may get an engineer visiting to change the BT socket on the wall. If so they will ring you. It took about 20mins to 1/2hr to go from ADSL to FTTC for me.

d) just starting for FTTC is self install. You get sent a new modem from the likes of plusnet and like Broadband, you plug that into the phone socket filter just like your existing modem. Again you wait until the service stops and then plug in.

So overall its around 1/2 hr switch over to about 1 hr. More than that you are unlucky and its a call to the new ISP support line.

IanD
  Print Thread

Jump to