User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User poggs
(learned) Sun 19-Jan-14 11:11:37
Print Post

Adsl2+ can't keep connected.

[link to this post]

Hello,

I am on a market one exchange. At the end last month bt upgraded the exchange to 21cn and adsl2+ became available. So I sent a ticket to plusnet and received a reply that I would be upgraded 15th jan.

I have Always had a rock solid adsl max connection at 8192 other than a spell of bt caused downtime.

Anyway late on the 14th I noticed that my connection was down, so I logged into my router and saw that I have just connected at 16000 odd on adsl2+. Cool thinks I.

Unfortunately the connection could not stay up for more than 5 minutes before dropping the adsl signal. Came back up 30 seconds later for five minutes. And repeat. This lasted for 24hrs when I noticed that I had just connected back on adsl max at a rock solid 8192.

All good until this morning when I discovered that the adsl2+ connection was back along with the 5 minute disconnects. Any idea whats going on?

Been on hold with plus for 92 mins at the point of typing so wondered if anyone here knows.
Standard User poggs
(learned) Sun 19-Jan-14 11:57:24
Print Post

Re: Adsl2+ can't keep connected.

[re: poggs] [link to this post]

Got plusnet to answer the phone.

Nice support tech ran Lots of tests. Seems adsl2+ line is borked. Reported to bt.

Ho hum
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 19-Jan-14 12:08:56
Print Post

A bit sad that the (new?) ADSL2+ kit in the exchange - probably your line card or even just a jumper cable - is duff. Let's hope it doesn't take long to fix, but at least you still have broadband smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User poggs
(learned) Sun 19-Jan-14 12:49:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Seems that the systems somehow and somewhere have seen there is a fault and automatically switched me back to adsl1

So it's back to 8192 and rock solid stability again!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 19-Jan-14 13:03:53
Print Post

Ummm.

Just an aside, it never was 8192kbps except on LLU. Is it now, because if it is that would be interesting?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User poggs
(learned) Sun 19-Jan-14 14:11:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Ummm.

Just an aside, it never was 8192kbps except on LLU. Is it now, because if it is that would be interesting?

You are correct. 8192 is a number from my CBM64 coding days!

I connect at 8128.
Standard User poggs
(learned) Tue 21-Jan-14 06:58:34
Print Post

Ok. connected back on ADSL2 this morning. This time my SNR was 6.1 download. At the weekend it was 0.1mb.

I'm guessing that is why it kept on dropping the connection at the weekend but now is stable.

So connecting at 16000 odd again. Speed test are only showing 5.95Mbps, the same as on adsl1. Do I need plus to up my profile or something to get access to the 16Mbps connection?

Edited by poggs (Tue 21-Jan-14 08:03:39)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Jan-14 08:47:00
Print Post

Ip profile on bt wholesale speed test should be correct, just waiting for plusnet to catch up

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User poggs
(learned) Tue 21-Jan-14 12:58:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Ip profile on bt wholesale speed test should be correct, just waiting for plusnet to catch up

Thanks for replying.

I just ran the BT wholesale test. REsults are

Download speed - 6.10
upload 0.39
Ping - 41.38

This is the same as I was getting on ADSL1. I cant see an entry on BT wholesale tester about ip profile. Are you saying just to sit tight and all will get faster in a few days?

Or do I need to do anything?

thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Jan-14 13:13:51
Print Post

After the speed test is done there is a further diagnostics button and it should then come back with the IP Profile

The throughput is limited still because of PlusNet.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to