User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tam
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jan-14 14:15:27
Print Post

Plusnet is working on a network-level filter

[link to this post]

PlusNet currently use BT to filter certain web-sites pirate bay for example, however PlusNet are in the process of developing their own blocking software which wont only block the sites ordered to by the courts but also all other sites that allow a work around to still get to the court ordered blocked sites.

PlusNet have already proved themselves very handy with traffic shaping kit, it now seems they are to delve deeper into all our traffic to block more things that they think should be blocked.

Full article here:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/22/plusnet_netw...

Tam

Powered By PlusNet (again!) FTTC @ 78Mpbs smile
ISP Representative KellyD
(isp) Wed 22-Jan-14 17:27:00
Print Post

Re: Plusnet is working on a network-level filter

[re: Tam] [link to this post]

eh?

That article has confused a few people. It's talking about court order blocking (blocking because we are required to by law) and parental controls (a tool which customers can turn on and off and configure to manage a set of blacklists and whitelists)

They are very different things, even if we ended up doing them on the same pieces of kit. (Which is possible, but might not be what happens)

Kelly Dorset
Plusnet
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Tam
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jan-14 17:35:58
Print Post

[re: KellyD] [link to this post]

Don't see PlusNet listed on the court order?

Care to link to the court order where you are meant to be blocking it.

Tam

Powered By PlusNet (again!) FTTC @ 78Mpbs smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 22-Jan-14 17:38:42
Print Post

"it"?
What?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 22-Jan-14 19:20:49
Print Post

Reading some of the comments at the Reg I'm not sure why there is so much antagonism. Filters/censorship are an inevitability for major UK ISPs, Plusnet are caught up in this whole situation - they didn't create it. It is currently trivial to bypass the methods being used to block sites.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 22-Jan-14 20:39:56
Print Post

I expect if BT is listed, isp's owned by BT wont be excluded.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jan-14 21:05:55
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
I expect if BT is listed, isp's owned by BT wont be excluded.

If that's the case then Plusnet disobeyed the Pirate Bay court order for about 18 months, since they have only very recently started blocking it.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Wed 22-Jan-14 21:06:53)

Standard User Senn
(newbie) Wed 22-Jan-14 21:10:53
Print Post

[re: KellyD] [link to this post]

I get that ISPs are not in a position to argue with court orders, but when it comes to the "parental controls" (aka state censorship) part, is it absolutely mandatory to make it opt-out instead of opt-in? Because as a guy in a relationship but with no children, I can't help but see all this as pure censorship when thrown in my direction.

I shouldn't be having to tell my ISP (and hence the government idiots that came up with this whole thing) that I want my connection to be unfiltered.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jan-14 21:12:54
Print Post

[re: Senn] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Senn:
I shouldn't be having to tell my ISP (and hence the government idiots that came up with this whole thing) that I want my connection to be unfiltered.

It wouldn't be good if it could only be done by phone, for obvious reasons. However if the account holder can do it via the control panel, I don't see it as an issue.

Oliver.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Jan-14 21:22:52
Print Post

[re: Senn] [link to this post]

+1 It was a completely unnecessary move by this government and a waste tax payers money , and i too don't agree with it being thrust upon us having to "opt out , it should be the other way around, then those who want it can opt in and also foot the bill between them, so the rest of us who don't want or use it, don't end up sharing the costs to the ISP , because no doubt any costs will be passed on to customers
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to