What's up with my sync speeds?
Line Attenuation: 39db
SNR Margin: 6db
sync speed: 5985 kbps
Various theoretical speed calculators suggest that I should get over 9000 kbps on ADSL2+.
1) Do PLUSNET have their own profiling/capping system? And does it require manual intervention to increase/raise/remove it?
2) Can a DLM negotiate modulation down (ie to ADSL2) to improve stability? And if so would it ever revert back automatically? (see below)
3) Do I just have to accept these speeds or is there some magic word I can use to get closer to the theoretical limit?
4) Is it worth trying to manually force my SNR Margin down a bit? I've seen it blip down to 4 briefly - though I don't monitor it.
5) Can PLUSNET see the modulation type for the current data link? When I raised a ticket yesterday explaining my problem and asking to be put on ADSL2+ the response I got was that I was already on ADSL2+ "Current Provisioned Product = WBC MAX24 mb/s (ADSL2+ Annex A) 448kbit/s Upstream.".
To me this just says the line is capable of ADSL2+ not that my session at the time was actually ADSL2+. But, I'm not in the business so maybe it says more than that.
6) Are the number of likely responses to new posts inversely proportional to the length of the post?
7) Is anybody still reading this?
FYI - I'm not unhappy with what I have but I'm happy to have more if it's possible.
What I've done
Yesterday I checked my router and found that it seemed to be reporting to have a trained modulation of only ADSL2. Today I think I have forced the router into ADSL2+ and reset the router. It now seems to be ADSL2+. No change to line stats or sync speed.
In the past week I have had a few link/PPP resets whilst getting interleaving turned off. But this sync speed has not dropped much... I'm currently speed testing at 500kbps slower than my best results which does not seem significant.
It's a newish contract (6 months) to an older house (12 years) but no new wires I don't think (though a BT visit was required for initial connection). It was a bit flakey at first.
A few months ago there was a physical line fault (where phone was off and broadband was even slower) that BT repaired (disconnected/broken wire or something I think).
Apart from the above the line very rarely loses sync. I can't recall a loss of sync since the repair was sorted.
PPP/Link Prortocol (or whatever... the connection to plusnet) is a little less reliable but still stable for weeks at a time (I notice the dropped link because I have to bring it back up manually for some reason - but I just restart the PPP).
Sorry for the length of post and any misuse of terms (I'm still learnin!)... tried to give enough info to get some good pointers on how to squeeze more out of my connection!
Thanks for reading.