User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Feb-14 04:37:18
Print Post

Plusnet is going downhill lately

[link to this post]

According to Broadband.co.uk’s seemingly anecdotal data, little has changed since the end of last year except for the fact that PlusNet saw its average download speeds slashed from 18.933Mbps in Dec 2013 to just 13.844Mbps now (their upload performance also dropped from 4.864Mbps to 3.353Mbps)

Link here: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/02/fastest...

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Feb-14 09:13:00
Print Post

Re: Plusnet is going downhill lately

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

That big a drop is probably due to the success on the marketing campaign getting a higher proportion of non fibre customers on the people using their speed test
Actually it is about time they split the results between fibre and non fibre otherwise it is just meaninglerss

Edited by Oldjim (Tue 04-Feb-14 09:55:08)

ISP Representative KellyD
(isp) Tue 04-Feb-14 09:48:21
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Those results are really odd. The dataset I'm looking at right now seems to suggest an average increase in both multithreaded and singlethreaded download speeds in January over December.

Kelly Dorset
Plusnet
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Feb-14 09:56:18
Print Post

Unfortunately the source data doesn’t separate the results out by technology or include smaller ISPs (not enough data).

Making the whole article (and this thread) a complete waste of time.

Perhaps we should discuss something like how many cornflakes you get in a box from each manufacturer? That would be just as informative.
Standard User Rastus
(committed) Tue 04-Feb-14 10:15:45
Print Post

I had to read your opening paragraph twice because I couldn't believe how clear and well written it was compared to your usual style.

However, clicking on the link soon confirmed my suspicions that it was a copy/paste job.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Feb-14 10:22:58
Print Post

[re: KellyD] [link to this post]

Those results are probably just a simple database query, rather than an actual analysis where you identify the type of connection each user is using.

The ookla variant used appears to be the peak speed one, i.e. you can pull Ethernet cable out for a few seconds and still get a good result.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(member) Tue 04-Feb-14 10:38:57
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rastus:
I had to read your opening paragraph twice because I couldn't believe how clear and well written it was compared to your usual style.

I wonder how many people thought exactly the same thing? (I for one did!)
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Feb-14 11:05:06
Print Post

My download speed tests have changed recently, up from 72Mb/s to 75Mb/s - though may well be down to a change of VDSL modem.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Feb-14 11:18:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The ookla variant used...
The speedtest that page links to is ...

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/speed/ "Powered by the thinkbroadband broadband speed test."

Isn't that the one they use?

I still regard the whole article as pointless as they don't differentiate between ADSL and FTTC. The fall in Plusnet upstream points clearly to a smaller proportion of FTTC results being the cause of the average download speed drop. I'm guessing that offering unlimited ADSL2+ at £2.50 a month is the reason there is a smaller proportion of FTTC now..
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Feb-14 11:28:04
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

But the report and speedtests are from http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband-speed-test/
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to