User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(regular) Tue 11-Feb-14 15:17:53
Print Post

Considering to move to plusnet.

[link to this post]

I'm just wondering what the actual install procedure is. I'll be signing up for the fibre products. But how does this work?

I sign up, then what happens? Plusnet dont seem to explain this part on their website, unless I missed it.

Because this isnt BT's product, who sends the engineer out?

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Freeserve -> Pipex -> Be
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Feb-14 15:51:47
Print Post

Re: Considering to move to plusnet.

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

If you have broadband from a BT Wholesale based provider now you need to get hold of a MAC

On the FTTC install, the same teams of Openreach engineers are used no matter who the retail provider is, So in terms of the install the same thing as if it was BT Retail you had ordered off.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 11-Feb-14 15:57:58
Print Post

The underlying product of all consumer fibre products (FTTC/FTTP/FTTPoD) is (BT) Openreach GEA.

The suppliers connecting directly to that at the exchanges are BT Wholesale; Sky; TalkTalk; and Zen at a few exchanges.

BT Wholesale provide backhaul services to every ISP in the country that wants them. Just like ordinary ADSLx apart from LLU.

BT Infinity is merely the BT Retail product based on BT Wholesale and Openreach services.

Plusnet's FTTC is based on the the same BTW and OR products. BT Retail and Plusnet both order from Openreach to get the connection between you and the exchange, and from BT Wholesale to get from the exchange to themselves. (The order on Openreach may be channelled through BTW, I'm not sure).

Openreach send the engineer.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 11-Feb-14 16:07:17)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Galoka
(learned) Tue 11-Feb-14 18:37:35
Print Post

When you signup, you will get to choose an installation date. Though until this is later confirmed by Plusnet this can change, though mine didn't

As others have said and Openreach engineer will come and do the install. Mine rung me up to say the phone would go off while he did work at the cabinet, then came round a little later to do the install.

What this entails depends on the existing installation in the house. Mine installed a new NTE5 master socket and faceplate etc. as we didn't have one. Connected up the modem, connected up my Plusnet router which was already sitting there (though PN say wait for the text tellign you that it is all live - I'm not sure I got one anyway) it all worked straight away. . Checked it all, we did a speed test . all done.

Now is the time to consider where the equipment is going (if you haven't already). Generally, the OR modem is by the master socket, but the router can be elsewhere - it is connected by Ethernet cable.
  Print Thread

Jump to