User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User urban4691
(member) Wed 12-Feb-14 13:46:35
Print Post

FTTC on the exchange but not on the cabinet

[link to this post]

Hi all,

My exchange was FTTC enabled almost two years ago, but my cabinet still hasn't got FTTC. Apparently it's a power supply problem. BT Openreach told me it's waiting for the power supply company to hook up the cabinet. For two years? Really?

I've still got a holding date of 31 Mar 2014 (every year it changes to 31 Mar of the following year).

What are my options? Who can I contact about this, because it seems like nothing is moving. I guess it's not possible to move to a different cabinet. Houses in neighbouring streets all have FTTC.

-----

PlusNet ADSL (20 meg sync) and Vodafone mobile broadband customer.

Superhappy TSO hosting customer (hosting £15 a year, with email replies to support within 60 seconds day and night, and I'm getting a £10 a year discount because I signed up my friend).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Feb-14 13:51:20
Print Post

Re: FTTC on the exchange but not on the cabinet

[re: urban4691] [link to this post]

Network Rearrangement is possible, but you need to be rich to pay for it.

The power company may have given BT a choice, pay a lot and get connected quickly or wait and pay less, i.e. they may have network maintenance/upgrades planned.

Without access to the letters between power firm and Openreach it is guess work.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Wed 12-Feb-14 16:09:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It also depends where the power has to come from.

There was a cab near me that was stood for over a year before it was connected. The problem was the power had to come from the opposite side of the street so it would mean a road closure to get the work done.

What complicated it was Southern Water was due t start work replacing water main along the main road lasting for 40 week using the road with the cab as a diversion so the council wouldn't allow the power work to start until after the water main work was completed. In the end the water main work overran by 16 weeks by which time the original application for the power work had expired.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User urban4691
(member) Wed 12-Feb-14 17:28:51
Print Post

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes, it's just annoying not knowing why there's such a long, long delay.

I called PlusNet and they just said wait and see. Surely they can contact BT Openreach.

I got through to them on this email address last year, but now it's just bouncing back saying 'we don't reply to emails any more': nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk.

-----

Superhappy TSO hosting customer (hosting £15 a year, with email replies to support within 60 seconds day and night, and I'm getting a £10 a year discount because I signed up my friend).
Standard User urban4691
(member) Wed 12-Feb-14 17:34:18
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Just sent this email to PlusNet:

Hi,

When I joined PlusNet more than a year ago, I was told fibre broadband would be available in my area by 31 March 2013. It's nearly a year later, and still no fibre broadband, even though every other line at my exchange is FTTC enabled.

I have had no help or updates from PlusNet in explaining the reasons for this delay. I managed to contact someone at BT Openreach myself and they told me there was a problem with my cabinet.

I totally understand that it is not PlusNet's fault but if you can not give me an update on when this work will take place, and why BT Openreach are continuing to delay the upgrade, then I will be leaving PlusNet at the end of this month to move to Virgin Media, which is offering me 12 months 60Mbps broadband at the same price that PlusNet is charging me for 7Mbps.

-----

Standard User binary
(member) Thu 20-Feb-14 19:54:11
Print Post

Sounds like you'd be best just switching to Virgin Media TBH.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Feb-14 20:01:11
Print Post

[re: binary] [link to this post]

@ urban4691

Do u want me to PM u of Openreach Project Manager Richard Hall, to see if he can help you on your FTTC cabinet case?

plusnetFTTC72 Meg
Standard User timl
(committed) Thu 20-Feb-14 20:19:56
Print Post

[re: binary] [link to this post]

I've got a very similar situation where the exchange has been enabled for about 2 years and just our cabinet hasn't been done. Every quarter BT change the holding date to the next quarter.

Like the OP we could go with Virgin Media 60Mb for about £50 per month and get rid of BT altogether. It's odd because the cabinet is in the middle of Brighton...

But I want to go with VDSL not cable! smile

Thanks
Tim

Plusnet unlimited FTTC

Edited by timl (Thu 20-Feb-14 20:26:12)

Standard User DRW
(committed) Fri 21-Feb-14 12:30:06
Print Post

[re: timl] [link to this post]

A similar situation happened here - I was lucky my cabinet got connected and I got a FTTC service - a colleague about 20 houses along the road did not get an FTTC service for about a year after my service started.
There was quite a bit of Openreach activity along the road to resolve the problem, several new manholes (access chambers) were dug and a lot of pushing and pulling of poles through the ducting to open up a collapsed ducting. This was a cyclic task, one group of people would dig and push poles, another group would come and try to push the fibre ducting through the re built ducting only to find another collapse a bit further on.

Eventually a FTTC service was provided and he got a much faster connection than I have as his cabinet is outside his house.

So look out for Openreach chaps working in the street and ask them if they are working on getting the fibre through to the next cabinet.

Good luck
  Print Thread

Jump to