User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ismoore999
(newbie) Wed 05-Mar-14 13:45:50
Print Post

Fibre and disconnects

[link to this post]

HI

I have a question regarding stability of FTTC. How stable shoud the connection be? Should I expect several disconects? Will plus net be aware of disconnects as they used to be with ADSL? As the modem and router are separate I was not sure if the router was aware the modem connectivity had been lost?

I will explain the history of my issue.

Ince installationI kept getting what appeared to be regular freezes on connectivity that would somewhere between a few seconds and a minute or more. At the time I was using the supplied OpenReach/Thomson combination.
I did speak to plusnet saying I thought it seemed to be disconnecting as sometimes after a wait it would report it could not connect to the site.. They could not see any issue on the line, and suggested they could get someone to look at it but if no issue was found, it could be chargable - which kind of put me off! They said that my line speed was set at 49Mb/s even though most tests showed closer to 40.

End of last year - mainly because of getting lockups on the existing router which required a full reboot, I splashed out and bought a Asus n66U fibre router.
Whilst this did perform better in speed tests it did show frequent (several times per day) disconnects. As it has three modes (performabce, somethng else, and stability) I set it to the latter and over time it has dropped the speed to closer to 20Mb/s BUT I am now getting several days before disconect.

Is this normal or is there something wrong with the connection? I could force it to negotiate higher but then there is usually only a few hours between disconnects (and it seems to take several minutes before it actually drops and reconnects)

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Mar-14 16:47:20
Print Post

Re: Fibre and disconnects

[re: ismoore999] [link to this post]

No, it is not normal. It should stay connected for days or weeks on end. You may get a brief disconnect when DLM intervenes or there is some problem with the line or at Plusnet.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Mar-14 17:18:47
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

I don't believe that Plusnet can affect the sync from the modem to the cab

Edited by Oldjim (Wed 05-Mar-14 17:19:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Mar-14 17:35:55
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
I don't believe that Plusnet can affect the sync from the modem to the cab

I didn't intend to imply that they could, I was taking disconnect to include the PPP session.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User ismoore999
(newbie) Wed 05-Mar-14 18:12:48
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
No, it is not normal. It should stay connected for days or weeks on end. You may get a brief disconnect when DLM intervenes or there is some problem with the line or at Plusnet.

Thanks for that. This is what I thought.
So the question is, plusnet said that if it was disconnecting, that would have affected the max linespeed. Does the max speed get reduced as it does with ADSL?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Mar-14 18:28:33
Print Post

The DLM system operates differently with VDSL2 a lot more emphasis is placed on the error counters which unless you have an unlocked modem you will have no idea about.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ismoore999
(learned) Wed 05-Mar-14 20:17:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that.
I am not using the open reach modem but an ASUS, so error count is very low.
What I have noticed is that the line attenuation is high - 26DB.
Also there is a gradual decrease in speed that started in December

December stats

So I guess something is going wrong
Standard User ismoore999
(learned) Sun 09-Mar-14 08:40:56
Print Post

I knew I should have stayed satisfied with 20M. Life was good. But no, I called Plus net. BT engineer arrives and finds loose wire in cabinet. All seems fine, because Speed is Still 20M. Whilst I am out, speed goes up to 50M.
Now max 15 minutes Between disconnecting or sometimes as low as 2 once it is being used heavily .
Oh well. I assume that BT have closed call. I can feel a long wait.
does anyone know how I can force it to sync lower? I'd be happy with 1Mb if it stayed up but it is impossible to even browse
ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Wed 12-Mar-14 11:12:20
Print Post

Hi ismoore999,

I guess you've had a fault raised with us? If you've done the checks advised by our faults team then this will cover you regarding any potential charges.

Regards,

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User ismoore999
(learned) Tue 18-Mar-14 08:14:59
Print Post

[re: chrispurvey] [link to this post]

Hi Chris
Well I am getting no further with this.

The issue is that between 17:10 and around 8:30, the number of disconnects goes up - dramatically. I can also see on the router the CRC error count increases around that time. For example last night for the first three minutes of connect, i had a couple of hundred, by the disconnect at six minutes, it was over 7000.

Plus net have acknowledged this.

The saga of the fault so far is that a loose cable found at Cabinet. Problem seems better until evening with disconnects every few minutes.
Another fault raised, but another fault found on phone line. This is fixed outside of premises. Stability improved so getting longer periods between disconnects but find that line speed capped to 30Mb (actually on most stable day, only getting 5Mb downloads during speed test). BT also inspected premises yesterday (had both a copper engineer and a fibre engineer), Found line was capped. Removed cap, checked line for 5 minutes found no CRC errors. Explained that this only seems to happen in the evening but they have closed the issue.
17:05 first disconnect followed by disconnects every 5 - 15 minutes.

So 10 days after fault has been placed and one week after plus net analysis of overnight errors and two BT visits, the problem is still there. I assume it will now start to sync lower and lower, as the errors increase and this will cause the line to get more and more stable.

I will report the error again... but BT are failing once again big time.

This is the sixth fault on this line in just over three years, and the last fault took six weeks, and a lot of frustration before I could make a phone call where I could hear someone or connect reliably to the internet. Compensation for that issue - nothing.

Is this going to end up the same?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to