User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Mar-14 14:11:39
Print Post

Are Plusnet Limit Cap on FTTC?

[link to this post]

It rather annoying to see other isp such as ICUK, Zen and BT all getting 75/19 on 80/20 FTTC. Plusnet is always stay at 72/18 on 80/20 FTTC. Are Plusnet limit the cap at 72/18? Because if three other isp's are 75/19 surely Plusnet should be the same on 75/19 for 80/20 FTTC. I know it only 3Meg difference but it always nice to have that extra 3Meg on it.

Edited by adslmax (Fri 21-Mar-14 14:26:57)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Mar-14 14:35:00
Print Post

Re: Are Plusnet Limit Cap on FTTC?

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

And your IP profile as reported by BT Wholesale is? And as reported by PlusNet is?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Mar-14 14:43:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

BTw IP Profile are 77.42Mb and Plusnet IP Profile are 77.4Mb

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Fri 21-Mar-14 14:52:32
Print Post

You're making comparisons based on numbers with no context. At those speeds even a slight difference in setup, computer, router, cabling etc could cause a dip getting 72Mbs on a 77.4Mb profile really isn't bad.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Mar-14 14:54:50
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

I don't believe in that Chris. If I did go with BT or Zen, I will getting 75/19 easy. As the IP Profile is always reduced by at least below 2Mb for throughput but reduced by 5Mb is a bit too much by Plusnet side. But, there is nothing I can do about it and just carry on with it and stick with 72/18 for the next 18 months until I can changing to different ISP (maybe).

Edited by adslmax (Fri 21-Mar-14 14:56:33)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Mar-14 15:02:11
Print Post

Are you basing this just speed test results. or are you uploading stuff , multiple files using a FTP client and downloading using a download manager that alows upto 10 streams per file , try downloading test files or something from a cyber locker using a premium account for a real test of thoughput,
(isp) Fri 21-Mar-14 15:02:45
Print Post

Your profile on our side is 77.4Mb, that is the only speed profile applied.

I have to ask, but what impact is this actually causing and how can you be certain of the speeds you'd get with another provider?

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Mar-14 15:09:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by chrisparr:
Your profile on our side is 77.4Mb, that is the only speed profile applied.

If that in case, I should be getting around 75.4Mb throughput as my real download transfer rate are 8.7MB/sec for 1GB file

Edited by adslmax (Fri 21-Mar-14 15:10:15)

(isp) Fri 21-Mar-14 15:14:55
Print Post

Why should you get that speed? Yes your profile is 77.4Mbs, but there are overheads, then there's the performance of the system your testing on, the router you're using etc.

I've *definitely* seen speedtest.net results from Plusnet customers over 74/75Mbps which would indicate that it's possible on our service.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Mar-14 15:18:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by chrisparr:
I've *definitely* seen speedtest.net results from Plusnet customers over 74/75Mbps which would indicate that it's possible on our service.

What router is that come with? My best mate is on Plusnet FTTC. His IP Profile is 77.44Mb and Plusnet IP is 78Mb. He only getting the same as me on 72/17.

Edited by adslmax (Fri 21-Mar-14 15:20:33)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to