User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User funchnugget
(newbie) Fri 21-Mar-14 21:41:03
Print Post

Plusnet FTTC speed

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I recently had Plusnet Unlimited FTTC installed. The Openreach engineer did a line test at install time which reported 40/8 - he suggested that my line would be capable of around 60Mbps downstream, but 40/10 was 'all I had ordered'.

Didn't seem right to me. Speed tests were showing around 36/7. Contacted Plusnet about this and, sure enough, I had been wrongly provisioned on 40/10 instead of 80/20 and was assured I'd be switched over to the higher profile.

However, after the supposed switchover and a further update from Plusnet (to change my IP profile at their end) my speed tests were not showing any improvement. BT Wholesale diagnostic showed my downstream IP profile was 38.45Mb and upstream was 20Mb, with speed tests showing around 37.5 / 7.04.

Plusnet now insist that my line is provisioned correctly and simply operating at its maximum rate, and within BT's estimations. However, the figure of ~38 downstream makes me a little suspicious since it's roughly what I'd expect to see on a 40/10 line, and was no different to when I was supposedly on 40/10.

Does this tally with anyone else's experience - i.e. switching from 40/10 to 80/20 resulting in no discernible speed change? Is there a chance that something is still not right with BT Wholesale or Plusnet?

(To make matters worse I had to power off my modem a couple of times yesterday and my downstream profile immediately switched to 33.73 - I'm hoping DLM will eventually restore it...)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Mar-14 21:51:46
Print Post

Re: Plusnet FTTC speed

[re: funchnugget] [link to this post]

There have been issues with switching between 40/10 and 80/20 or people being provisioned on the wrong one, sometimes for just one direction too. So not unheard of

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Craig4646
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Mar-14 21:54:21
Print Post

I had a similar experience to you in that when I was first connected to FTTC Plusnet ordered 40/10 to BT Openreach even though I brought the 80/20 service. After contacting them and a couple of days later my line increased into estimated levels.

I dont know what the speed of you line is currently doing but one thing I found is if you log into the Member Centre on the Plusnet website and on the left nav bar under 'My Account' if you click on 'Connection Settings' and on that screen if you select 'High-speed Broadband' it displays what Plusnet estimates you should get and what the current line speed is.

This is what I get:

Telephone number:
Phone exchange:
FLEET
Estimated line speed:
72Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-02-14 18:15:32
Current line speed:
77.4 Mb

I dont know how accurate it is but for me once my line was released from 40/10 it increased to what I was expecting.

Craig.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Fri 21-Mar-14 22:26:57
Print Post

[re: Craig4646] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. I was aware of that and at the moment it more or less matches the BT Wholesale diagnostic:
--
Estimated line speed:
29Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-03-05 20:32:42
Current line speed:
33.6 Mb
--
I don't recall what this page said before the supposed switchover, but the BT Wholesale diagnostic page was showing ~38Mb downstream at the time. My cabinet isn't terribly close - about 400-500m I think - but I would hope to get a better speed than this.

I also have a slightly unusual internal wiring setup. My old (non-NTE5) master socket was in the loft, with two extensions running down to different rooms. The BTO engineer fitted a new NTE5 master socket in the place of one of the extensions and rewired the old master socket to act as a junction box. The cable to the NTE5 now carries both the unfiltered VDSL signal on one twisted pair, and a filtered signal to my other phone extension via the loft.

Was wondering if this setup could be degrading the signal somewhat? I've tried disconnecting the second extension (so the cable to the NTE5 only carries the unfiltered signal) but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. I don't want to touch the old master socket in the loft since it's on the 'wrong' side of the NTE5...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Mar-14 22:40:00
Print Post

Done by a pukka Openreach engineer that wiring should be fine. Possibly a small drop in speed, but nothing dramatic.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(newbie) Fri 21-Mar-14 23:08:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

OK, thanks for the info. The engineer seemed quite switched-on and helpful, and arrived in a BTO van, so I'm hoping the wiring job wasn't dodgy.

Not sure if there's anything more I can try really. Currently waiting to receive an unlocked VDSL modem so I can see line stats etc - might help me understand what's going on with my line.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Mar-14 23:11:13
Print Post

Yes. That's what we need you to have in order to go much further smile.

The "telnet" xdslcmd info --pbParams are needed, and with the xdslcmd info --stats would be ideal.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 21-Mar-14 23:14:35)

(newbie) Fri 21-Mar-14 23:17:53
Print Post

Cool... I'll post back in a few days then. Thanks for the help smile
(newbie) Wed 26-Mar-14 21:21:02
Print Post

Hello,

I've now got my unlocked modem set up. It's an ECI rev B unfortunately - it seems the commands you refer to are for the Huawei modem.

Do you know of an equivalent command I can run on it to give the stats you need? FWIW the status page shows the following (after being up for ~15 mins with moderate usage - sorry for the bad formatting):

Channel Status Upstream Downstream
Actual Net Data Rate 6916000 kbps 33112000 kbps
Actual Interleave Delay 0 ms 975 ms
Actual INP 0 Symbols 30 Symbols
Attainable Net Data Rate 6905000 kbps 38260288 kbps
Transmit Power 117 dBm 49 dBm
Current 15 mins Near End Far End
CRC 0 0
FEC 5139 0
ES 0 0
SES 0 0
UAS 32 0
24 hours Near End Far End
CRC 0 0
FEC 5139 0
ES 0 0
SES 0 0
UAS 32 0

Looks like my downstream IP profile has dropped again (33.73 to 32.05) - looks like the brief power outage as I swapped modems was enough to knock it down frown
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 26-Mar-14 21:55:31
Print Post

I'm afraid I don't, but maybe others do. I'll make a post in the Fibre forum when I've posted this, and ask if anyone can help.

However, those stats are showing connection speeds of 33.1/6.9Mbps, with maximum possibles of 38.3/6.9, so it looks as though your line is pretty well flat out.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to