User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sir_Jasper
(learned) Sat 22-Mar-14 15:31:25
Print Post

About Plusnet and "Up to 76Mb"

[link to this post]

Yesterday evening I signed up to Plusnet Fibre. My cab went live on Wednesday 19th. And for two days I have been trying to sign up to TalkTalk fibre, but their sign-up website would only let me get through 3 of the four stages I could not get to stage 4, the payment stage. I did post on the TT community forum and was advised to order over phone. Turned out to be a lucky break. I took advantage of the Plusnet promo of £12.50 for 9 months on the up to 76Mb Fibre. Free install, and I have "tracked" for £100 cashback with Quidco. So if it does pay up, a good deal.
My main question is about the Plusnet speed. I know I wont get anything near the 76Mb - I am 750 Mtrs from the cab. I can't do a speed check with my phone line as I am with SKY (LLU) But I used my address and get this: http://postimg.org/image/9ecp07scj/
I know an address is not as good as a line. All the speed quotes I get when I check with various fibre providers Plusnet, TalkTalk, EE all say 35Mb - The lowest end of the checker quote.
Although I selected Up to 76Mb with Plusnet - in the ordering stage it showed 35Mb: http://postimg.org/image/l3h8ip9ol/
So, will plusnet allow my line to find it's highest stable speed up to 76Mb, for example 42Mb or will it be locked from the outset to go no higher than 38Mb? This speed is fine for me as I am on 3.5Mb at the moment, so a possible ten-fold increase - But it would be nice to see how close it could get to the 50Mb quote in the BT wholesale checker.
And an additional question regarding quitting SKY.
Do I have to inform them. I'm not in contract and don't have Sky TV, just BB and phone. MY plusnet installation is set for 7th April. And Sky will take their next payment by DD on 1st April.

Many thanks
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Mar-14 15:40:27
Print Post

Re: About Plusnet and "Up to 76Mb"

[re: Sir_Jasper] [link to this post]

If your estimate is 35 you will probably be provisioned on the "up to 38" product but still unlimited usage. This is not a major issue, if you find you are connecting at the maximum speed, Plusnet will move you onto the "up to 76" product if you ask. The cost is the same

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 22-Mar-14 16:17:34
Print Post

If you are moving the LLU BB away from Sky are they still happy to provide calls and line rental or have you moved the phone/line rental over to Plusnet as well?

plusnet user

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sir_Jasper
(learned) Sat 22-Mar-14 16:57:00
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
..... or have you moved the phone/line rental over to Plusnet as well?

Yes a full move to plusnet from SKY LLU including phone line.
ISP Representative LinnPlusnet
(isp) Wed 26-Mar-14 15:38:05
Print Post

Hi Sir_Jasper,

If your estimated speed is showing as 35Mbps then you would be placed on the 40/10 profile when your order is placed. It can be changed to 80/20 if you wish to have this changed after you transfer over, however, based on the fact that your speeds are estimated at 35Mbps there's every chance you wouldn't see an increase being on 80/20.

Linn Karstrom
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Mar-14 15:54:28
Print Post

Re: About Plusnet and "Up to 76Mb" *DELETED*

Post deleted by kwikbreaks
Standard User Tam
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Mar-14 17:48:57
Print Post

[re: LinnPlusnet] [link to this post]

ARRGGHH!!!! Why Linn ??

Time and time again we see people with estimates of 35 getting on the 40/10 service only to then ask for the upgrade and find they get 65/17

Why put them on a low product ... ?

Example: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/t/4316859-r...

Sir_jasper - Sadly once you have your connection, you will then have to ask plusnet to increase your connection to the proper one ... shameful really.

Tam