User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ainsley001
(regular) Sun 23-Mar-14 12:00:36
Print Post

Asus Router question

[link to this post]

Bought the Asus RT-AC66U Router last week. Can anyone tell me if/where in the menus I can see the last re-connection time (or how long the current connection has been up for)?

Also does it actually report the current sync speed ? I can run speed tests, of course, but knowing the sync speed would help. I'm having some problems with sync speed dropping with Plusnet FTTC and have reported them but would like to keep an eye of these factors myself.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 23-Mar-14 12:22:43
Print Post

Re: Asus Router question

[re: ainsley001] [link to this post]

I can't answer the question sorry, but you can get your FTTC sync speed within 10kbps by taking the IP Profile from the BT Wholesale Performance Tester (Speed test) >> Further diagnostics, then dividing it by 0.9679.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ian007jen
(member) Sun 23-Mar-14 14:03:26
Print Post

The router does not report the sync speed, the modem does that job.

Can anyone tell me if/where in the menus I can see the last re-connection time

Again the router does not show this in the web interface, but is it possible to see the last connected time by logging in via (SSH) and running the command "ls -la /var/run/ppp0*"

I run the custom merlin build (on my n66u) more info here https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki

Ian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ainsley001
(regular) Sun 23-Mar-14 19:34:46
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian007jen:
The router does not report the sync speed, the modem does that job.

Can anyone tell me if/where in the menus I can see the last re-connection time

Again the router does not show this in the web interface, but is it possible to see the last connected time by logging in via (SSH) and running the command "ls -la /var/run/ppp0*"

I run the custom merlin build (on my n66u) more info here https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki

Ian

Thanks for the info - I discovered that the software DOES report the time since the last re-connection in the System Logs section (pretty obvious really!) but thanks anyway

Edited by ainsley001 (Sun 23-Mar-14 19:40:56)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 23-Mar-14 22:12:29
Print Post

sadly it doesnt have this info, users have asked merlin to put in the merlin version of the firmware but he deemed it not justifiable.

If you want that info there is only 2 ways I know off.

Flash an alternative firmware such as shibby which does show the info, or after the ppp goes down for any reason the uptime will be displayed in the log for the terminated connection. (clearly not very good as is after its terminated).

Print Thread

Jump to