User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User urban4691
(member) Sun 23-Mar-14 14:52:10
Print Post

Plusnet fibre router vs ADSL router

[link to this post]

Plusnet has just sent out my fibre router, and it seems to be exactly the same as my existing ADSL router: TG582n. Is it the same? What's the point of sending a new one?

-----

PlusNet ADSL (20 meg sync) and Vodafone mobile broadband customer.

Superhappy TSO hosting customer (hosting £15 a year, with email replies to support within 60 seconds day and night, and I'm getting a £10 a year discount because I signed up my friend).
Standard User Computerman142
(regular) Sun 23-Mar-14 16:13:43
Print Post

Re: Plusnet fibre router vs ADSL router

[re: urban4691] [link to this post]

The difference between the two is that the ADSL version doesn't have a WAN port, while the fibre version has a dedicated ethernet port to be used for WAN and I think the ADSL port is disabled on the fibre router I read somewhere.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2859828308
My best ever result- upload is more than it should be. but more the better. Also ping is a bit high

MYSEL

TalkTalk 40/2 FTTC - Currently getting 26.5Mbps
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 23-Mar-14 16:31:28
Print Post

[re: Computerman142] [link to this post]

LAN4 is converted.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative DaveTomlinson
(isp) Mon 24-Mar-14 17:43:12
Print Post

[re: urban4691] [link to this post]

Hi,

Physically they are the same, same chipset, components etc. the main differences are what comes in the box (filters, cables, instructions) and the software. The software on the fibre router converts LAN port 4 be being a WAN port and disables the ADSL port. It's possible to install the ADSL software on the fibre router and vice versa but it can't do both at the same time. So we either have to send a new one out if you upgrade from Plusnet ADSL to fibre, upgrade it remotely ourselves or send you instructions out and how to switch it over.

Doing it yourself would take away the plug and play simplicity for most people, while upgrading it remotely requires impeccable timing (too early and you lose service for the morning of the appointment, too late and the engineer has already unplugged the ADSL).

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Product Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to