User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 26-Mar-14 22:15:39
Print Post

To dave, kelly etc. possible traffic management issue

[link to this post]

Ok so basically when I download anything thats high throughput (even a brief speedtest), other packets particurly small ssh packets, will suffer from packet loss. On a non traffic managed line this wouldnt occur unless the line is really saturated eg. a dialup line. Indeed it never occured when I was on BT retail. This I consider a much bigger problem than the 1-2 mbit lost as mentioned in the other thread.

I have also noticed now its visible on my tbb graphs, if I do a speedtest, latency spikes really high during the test and is a red line at the top of it showing loss. So in my case this QoS system is making my line worse not better, it seems its delioberatly dropping other packets to allow my downloads through.

As mentioned on the plusnet forums, ipv6 is unaffected, the ipv6 tbb graphs does not get packet loss when downloading, and in addition ssh is smooth when downloading, so I know its not the line been unable to handle it, something on the ipv4 side is dropping the packets when I am downloading.

This essentially means its hard to multitask on the line unless I am using ipv6, but not everything is ipv6 yet so some ssh servers I am use are still ipv4.

The solution it seems would be to never drop small blocks of data?

ISP Representative bpullen
(isp) Thu 27-Mar-14 10:55:24
Print Post

Re: To dave, kelly etc. possible traffic management issue

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Assuming you're using your ipv6 test account then your Plusnet speed profile is higher than your BT one. It needs to be below. I've made a change this side so try a soft disconnect/reconnect and see how you get on then.

Rgds,

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 27-Mar-14 13:14:38
Print Post

[re: bpullen] [link to this post]

Ummm tongue.

I doubt if that will be well received, judging from his posts in the "FTTC cap" thread here.

If it causes packet loss on the IPv6 connection as well as the expected speed drop, to my mind it will indicate the Plusnet system is flawed when dealing with FTTC speeds.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(isp) Thu 27-Mar-14 14:01:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The ipv6 headline speed will decrease yes, but the ipv4 latency issues should hopefully subside. I suspect there's a difference between the two because DPI is not properly configured to work with ipv6 yet. Why then the speedtests aren't as disruptive on the higher profile when using ipv6 I don't know. That's somewhat out of my depth.

I suppose short term it's a question of which is the lesser of two evils?

At the moment the OP can revert to using their ipv4 login credentials where the Plusnet profile is above the BT one. After my changes the ipv6 Plusnet profile sits below the BT one so it's likely to have some affect on the headline speeds seen when running HTTP speedtests (although I can always revert it).

Rgds,

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 27-Mar-14 22:32:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

indeed, first reaction, arrgh.

however tbb speedtesting isnt showing the expected 1-2mbit loss of throughput. I wonder if plusnet have made some adjustments after the last discussion in the other thread. Although throughput is now more variable.

So its not misunderstood when I have been testing ipv4 vs ipv6, I am doing both on the test account, I am not switching to my normal account. So both tests would be under the same plusnet profile.

I have had ipv6 disabled on my pc all day today as this morning at 4.30am it was maxing out at 3mbit throughput.

--edit-- I think the reason no lost throughput is I probably have to recconect for the new profile to kick in.

Edited by Chrysalis (Thu 27-Mar-14 23:33:54)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 27-Mar-14 22:35:25
Print Post

so even on the test account there is seperate profiles for ipv6 and ipv4?

perhaps the tested fix would have been then to increase the ipv4 profile not decrease the ipv6 profile as ipv6 was working better. (ignoring the first time issue this morning). I will test again in a bit and report back, if ipv6 is now worse I will request both my ipv4 and ipv6 profiles to be set above my BT profile.

(isp) Fri 28-Mar-14 10:24:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
So its not misunderstood when I have been testing ipv4 vs ipv6, I am doing both on the test account, I am not switching to my normal account. So both tests would be under the same plusnet profile.

I assumed that to be the case. I was just trying to point out that rather than wait for me to revert the changes I made, you had the option of switching back to your normal account (where the profile's set above the BT one)

I think the reason no lost throughput is I probably have to reconnect for the new profile to kick in.

Yes you do.

so even on the test account there is seperate profiles for ipv6 and ipv4?

No, it' s just our DPI/traffic management profiling is largely absent from the ipv6 network. This is one of the reasons why ipv6 traffic is not counted towards your broadband usage figures.

perhaps the tested fix would have been then to increase the ipv4 profile not decrease the ipv6 profile as ipv6 was working better. (ignoring the first time issue this morning). I will test again in a bit and report back, if ipv6 is now worse I will request both my ipv4 and ipv6 profiles to be set above my BT profile.

I'm now lost, perhaps I haven't explained very well?

Your ipv6 test account credentials have the Plusnet line profile set below that of the BT profile. This applies to both ipv4 and ipv6 traffic.

Your normal account credentials (where ipv6 is not available) have the Plusnet line profile set above that of the BT profile.

Rgds,

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 28-Mar-14 15:17:44
Print Post

in which case then I suggest the plusnet profile has nothing to do with the issue given I am seeing the behaviour on ipv4 traffic on the ipv6 test account.

Since I dont want my throughput to drop 2mbit/sec do you mind increasing the profile back to where it was please above the BT profile?

(isp) Fri 28-Mar-14 17:31:18
Print Post

in which case then I suggest the plusnet profile has nothing to do with the issue given I am seeing the behaviour on ipv4 traffic on the ipv6 test account.

Why? There are DPI differences between our ipv4 and ipv6 networks. That combined with an artificially increased profile may well result in a situation where you're seeing latency over ipv4 but not ipv6.

Have you actually checked to see if the issue is still evident. Surely that's the most sensible thing to do, rather than theorise?

Rgds,

Edited by bpullen (Fri 28-Mar-14 17:54:02)

ISP Representative KellyD
(isp) Mon 31-Mar-14 11:20:36
Print Post

I'm not yet clear on the test here.

When you see the IPv4 loss, are you connected on your v6 test account, or your original v4 account?

Kelly Dorset
Plusnet
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to