User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheValk
(regular) Tue 01-Apr-14 10:46:23
Print Post

Plusnet Fibre and phone

[link to this post]

I am at present with ADSL24/Coms for Fibre Broadband and with BT (since rotary dial phones), for my landline.
If I take a Fibre broadband and phone package from Plusnet, what physically changes wrt the broadband and phone connections?
Do Plusnet just rent the physical fibre and copper connections from BT or do they route over their own equipment at some stage?
Just trying to understand what if any changes might occur and how difficult it might be to undo them later.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Apr-14 12:09:58
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Fibre and phone

[re: TheValk] [link to this post]

PlusNet use SMPF (partial LLU) via BT Wholesale and the WLR for voice line rental.

So standard MAC migration in and out procedures apply

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TheValk
(regular) Tue 01-Apr-14 12:19:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, for that.
I was hoping to avoid LLU type migration problems in the future, which it appears will be OK.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-Apr-14 12:29:37
Print Post

I wouldn't call it "partial LLU", though that is possibly the correct technical description.

Plusnet is bog standard BT Wholesale based broadband. Not what we normally call LLU.

You can take Plusnet's fibre with or without PlusNet's phone line. My line is still with BT, but once I get through my current 12-month term I might move it somewhere cheaper. The PN broadband is cheaper however if you take the line as well.

Which underlying supplier is your Fibre on?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 01-Apr-14 12:40:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Plusnet is 100% owned by BT wink

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User TheValk
(regular) Tue 01-Apr-14 15:15:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I wouldn't call it "partial LLU", though that is possibly the correct technical description.

Plusnet is bog standard BT Wholesale based broadband. Not what we normally call LLU.

You can take Plusnet's fibre with or without PlusNet's phone line. My line is still with BT, but once I get through my current 12-month term I might move it somewhere cheaper. The PN broadband is cheaper however if you take the line as well.

Which underlying supplier is your Fibre on?

I don't know who ADSL24 contracted with for fibre supply. I assume it was Openreach.

Anyway, I have decided that I might as well go with Plusnet for fibre and phone as I am already aware of the performance of my line and so I shouldn't get much less than I am getting from COMS at half the price.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-Apr-14 15:33:11
Print Post

They almost certainly wouldn't contract with Openreach for FTTC. It would be BT Wholesale, or TalkTalk Business I think. Unless it is Enta.

With BT Wholesale you would need a MAC, and I think Enta as well.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User TheValk
(regular) Tue 01-Apr-14 17:32:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
They almost certainly wouldn't contract with Openreach for FTTC. It would be BT Wholesale, or TalkTalk Business I think. Unless it is Enta.

With BT Wholesale you would need a MAC, and I think Enta as well.

Ah, well. Whoever it was, it's history now, (I hope).
I have just committed myself to Plusnet Unlimited Fibre + Phone for the next 18 months, saving myself at least £20 month.

I look forward to coming to this forum in the future, just for pleasure I hope, not to complain.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Apr-14 19:32:21
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Plusnet is 100% owned by BT wink

Irrelevant to the question.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-Apr-14 21:13:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by TheValk:
I have just committed myself to Plusnet Unlimited Fibre + Phone for the next 18 months, saving myself at least £20 month.

I look forward to coming to this forum in the future, just for pleasure I hope, not to complain.
The vast majority find it fine. The tiny minority that don't are to be expected, every ISP has its problems.

I'm afraid that with the huge coverage now of the big three and next two, (BT;Sky;TT and EE;Plusnet), enabling them to afford lots of bandwidth for the hungry, the niche ISPs have a huge struggle on their hands.

Good luck, and let us know how things go smile.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to