User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adamtemp
(experienced) Thu 10-Apr-14 12:04:44
Print Post

Instalation of new line failed

[link to this post]

I have been at our village hall awaiting a business line install, new line required openreach turned up took one look and said you will need a pole next to the village hall as there will not be the 5.9m clearance. order placed 24/2/2014

He has returned the job for further action so I had to take 4 hours off work for this today not impresed that openreach did not check the requirements before install day?

Perhaps a rep could look at this and advise and maybe arrange for a sim provide when it is rebooked for the adsl.

I can pm username to any rep when asked.

GLOBALNET now part of madasafish now plusnet With The same isp since 1995 ( now all part of BT) (now on a 21cn exchange wwstal 49db on adsl2 or 52.5db on adsl2+ depending on exchange sync)
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Apr-14 13:44:19
Print Post

Re: Instalation of new line failed

[re: adamtemp] [link to this post]

With installation charges for lines there isn't enough money there to send someone out to survey then send someone out to install - most cases only need one visit.
Standard User pjmarsh
(learned) Fri 11-Apr-14 13:38:13
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

We had a new line to our Church Hall July last year (1st line to the property), and the order was delayed by 2 weeks or so (I was warned it may happen by Plusnet) so that a survey could take place.

When the engineer did come, he had a little moan about the survey not mentioning that the pole wasn't marked so he was unable to climb it (as he didn't know how old or how safe it was), but put a lot of effort into getting us a cherry picker that day so that he come install the line.

Phil

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adamtemp
(experienced) Tue 22-Apr-14 12:03:24
Print Post

Well just been quoted for the pole install on friday for the village hall from plusnet a nice heafty £805.58 so now got to wait for next Parish council meeting in may to approve this spend if not approved the village hall will not get its broadband and we have paid first month already up front. any reps want to comment.

GLOBALNET now part of madasafish now plusnet With The same isp since 1995 ( now all part of BT) (now on a 21cn exchange wwstal 49db on adsl2 or 52.5db on adsl2+ depending on exchange sync)
Standard User Rastus
(committed) Tue 22-Apr-14 14:40:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by adamtemp:
Well just been quoted for the pole install on friday for the village hall from plusnet a nice heafty £805.58 ...

That's a bit of a surprise, I didn't realise BTO actually charged for erecting poles to supply your telephone service! I was under the impression the installation cost for a telephone line was averaged out in the standard cost everyone had to pay. frown
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Apr-14 15:49:16
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

At a guess the village hall isn't classed as residential by BT, hence the charge?

plusnet user
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Apr-14 15:56:44
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

And it probably isn't the first line. They only have to provide the first line under USO for a reasonable charge (and even then it is up to a specified limit per line) - any additional lines they can charge for additional costs such as poles, trenches, etc.
Standard User adamtemp
(experienced) Wed 23-Apr-14 09:34:28
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

It is the first line hall built over 40 years ago and never been connected hence the issue
but I will be adding to the ticket reps ticket no 84396011

Standard User zom22
(regular) Wed 23-Apr-14 10:39:31
Print Post

Well just been quoted for the pole install on friday for the village hall from plusnet a nice heafty £805.58 so now

you 've got a good deal there - if you have to pay for it
I was told a couple of years ago that a pole raw cost was around £600.
Had to be VPI creosoted in France as the only EU plant capable of doing it due to H&S.
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Wed 23-Apr-14 11:38:35
Print Post

Well just been quoted for the pole install on friday for the village hall from plusnet a nice heafty £805.58 so now got to wait for next Parish council meeting in may to approve this spend if not approved the village hall will not get its broadband and we have paid first month already up front. any reps want to comment.

Have you thought about a self dig trench into which an underground cable could be placed by Openreach?

Twenty years ago my new residential property had similar issues; no question of extra charges for the single pole required then. Subsequently other properties used that pole for their service. Interesting the builder didn't want an overhead service to the property and so dug a trench to the pole and put some trunking in with pull rope. BT refused to use the facility as they hadn't done the work themselves.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to