User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sjdean
(member) Sat 12-Apr-14 14:00:49
Print Post

What are PlusNet like now?

[link to this post]

The prices are tempting at PlusNet, especially for FTTC Unlimited, plus I can get it without swapping the telephone connection! Great!

But, I had PlusNet and jumped ship to BeThere a few years back. The reason was, I was paying for what, 20 Gig, 40 Gig of data a month, never actually hitting that, but because I wasn't downloading the traffic they wanted me to download, I had to wait to download a song of iTunes for example until after the "QoS" and traffic prioritisation was switched off after midnight.

That got my back right up that because Im not streaming, or accessing the web and I just want to say, download a Linux ISO or download an iTunes file, Im a second class citizen even though my bandwidth utilisation was quite small.

So I see the latest package, unlimited. But does that mean I'll have to download a Fedora ISO after midnight still instead of being able to download it when I need it?

Simon

CompuServe > PIPEX > Demon > BlueYonder > plusnet > Be*
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Apr-14 14:07:16
Print Post

Re: What are PlusNet like now?

[re: sjdean] [link to this post]

Unlimited, unthrottled at any time of day. The allowance package has a few hours of potential throttling in the day.

There is still a prioritisation system, but these days that just makes sure the low-bandwidth gaming and VOIP get through as well as live streaming and web access, whilst P2P gets the rest of what there is. Which on the network is plenty, and on your own line depends on your mix of usage at the time. Your line itself should run at full line speed at all times.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User georgelnx
(newbie) Sat 12-Apr-14 15:19:51
Print Post

I downloaded the latest Kubuntu beta during the day without issue. Don't really notice the Plusnet QoS at any time of the day.

However, currently Plusnet are struggling in customer support as the number of customers joining has stretched them.

So as long as you don't have any issues you will be okay. I wasn't fortunate.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Apr-14 16:33:06
Print Post

The main problem is call centre wait times times - at the moment the recorded message states there is a 30 minute wait, and yet the website states 11 minutes.

So far I have only been waiting 8 minutes smile

Happy to state that the website is correct.

Now with plusnet
Twitter

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Sat 12-Apr-14 16:37:39)

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Apr-14 16:34:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by sjdean:
So I see the latest package, unlimited. But does that mean I'll have to download a Fedora ISO after midnight still instead of being able to download it when I need it?

As Bob said, definitely not, should be no problem. And as the others said, the only down side with Plusnet is the long wait times for telephone support and the even longer wait times for ticket support. Once you get support it is generally very good and you can often speed it up by posting here or in the Community Forums.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Sat 12-Apr-14 16:35:31)

Standard User blueacid
(committed) Wed 23-Apr-14 00:28:34
Print Post

Echoing the other comments: I don't notice any slowdowns at any time.

I still do keep the heavy lifting to the wee small hours since it's no trouble for me to do so; might as well use some off-peak capacity of theirs. But downloads even at their busiest times (http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml) are at full speed.

I raised one ticket to uncap my ADSL2+ upload speed from 448kbps to line speed; dealt with within 3 days. Not bad for what must be a low priority ticket.
  Print Thread

Jump to