User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Lindsay_Henessey
(regular) Sun 13-Apr-14 12:24:48
Print Post

Fibre and unfortunate switch off

[link to this post]

During a thunderstorm I switched off the fibre modem and forgot about it until the morning about 18hrs later. When I switched it back on the DOWNLOAD speed was as it used to be - around 72/73 mb but the upload speed had gone down from 18mb to 16mb. (80/20 connection)

I have been told by Plusnet that I have to wait 72 hrs for it to retrain. Is this correct? I can understand download speed but it is odd for the upload speed to be that way.

Any thoughts?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 13-Apr-14 13:18:54
Print Post

Re: Fibre and unfortunate switch off

[re: Lindsay_Henessey] [link to this post]

I think the 72 hours thing is a load of codswallop. Whoever told you that must be one of the newbie support staff and very confused.

If 72 hours means anything, it is likely to be the maximum time a new installation takes to settle down, (and that means down not up), barring a fault existing.

I would try a single restart of the modem some time between 10am and 4pm and see what happens. To do that, pull out the power cable but leave the VDSL one in, then wait a couple of minutes before powering up again.

Edit: PS - did you disconnect the modem from the phone socket as well in the thunderstorm? Lightning can fry it and your router and anything hard-wired to your router through that even when things are powered down.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 13-Apr-14 13:21:59)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Apr-14 18:09:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by Lindsay_Henessey:
During a thunderstorm I switched off the fibre modem

Any thoughts?
Yes. It was probably unnecessary to do that. If you have an overhead phone line there might be an increased risk but it's probably still very small. Anyway just switching it off was pointless. In the unlikely event of a lightning strike the bolt would smash straight through a simple switch. Only unplugging it from the wall would really help.

And another thing to consider - lightning can travel several miles before actually touching down. People have been hit out of a beautiful clear blue sky so waiting until you hear thunder or see lightning is no guarantee wink

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sun 13-Apr-14 18:12:58)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Lindsay_Henessey
(regular) Mon 14-Apr-14 10:22:14
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Actually I unplugged it and the stupid thing is I didn't do it for the VDSL. In the morning I was wondering why I had no connection when the VDSL was lit! It's an age thing.

Anyway I did what was suggested but the speed for upload remains the same.. 2mb short of what it was although download is as was.!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Apr-14 10:39:00
Print Post

If the VDSL modem was powered, then the errors from the lightning have probably triggered the DLM to react to reduce error rate.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to