User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zAndy1
(member) Thu 17-Apr-14 08:32:44
Print Post

Plusnet or BT (or neither?)

[link to this post]

I'm currently trying to decide which ISP to move to for Fibre broadband (or whether to stay with my current ISP talktalk and just upgrade to Fibre). I'm tempted to switch providers because I could then potentially get some decent cashback (e.g. via Quidco you get £115 to switch to Sky Fibre) and also I'm tempted to go to BT Infinity so I can get BT Sport for 'free' (subsidised by the higher cost of BT broadband obviously) which considering I do want BT Sport is a nice bonus. The prices seem to be :-

BT Infinity 2 with BT Sport free £26 pm (£20pm for the first 3 months), 38Mbps
Plusnet 70Mbps with BT Sport £27.50pm (£20 for the Fibre broadband + £7.50 for BT Sport HD)
Sky Fibre £20pm for the 38Mbps option or £30pm for the 70Mbps option
TalkTalk £10 extra to upgrade to Fibre 38Mbps

My line is capable of 70Mbps according to the line checkers and I can believe it as I can walk to the cabinet in a minute or two tops so there is benefit in going for one of the faster packages so Plusnet is tempting in a way but by the time i've paid for BT Sport it'll cost the same as BT Infinity 2 although obviously Plusnet will be upo to 76Mbps whereas BT will be the slower 38Mbps speed. Anyone got any recommendations , is Plusnet worth going for if the price is the same as BT overall? I'm put off going to Sky because of the hub they provide as I'd like to use my own router ideally so going with plusnet will at least ensure I get an openreach modem and separate router that I could then upgrade if need be.
Basically are plusnet any good and is there any reason not to go for them over the other alternatives

Ta
Andy
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Apr-14 09:49:57
Print Post

Re: Plusnet or BT (or neither?)

[re: zAndy1] [link to this post]

A correction - BT Infinity 2 is the up to 76Mbps package not the 38Mbps.

The only provider in your list I generally wouldn't consider is TalkTalk as their past reputation has not been good.

All 3 of the others have good and bad points but in general they are all capable ISPs - and all 3 go through peaks and troughs for customer service/support).

Plusnet are probably the easiest of the 3 to get direct contact with as they are active on these forums and the guys that post here tend to be pretty good at getting stuff done (although they have had issues with their call centre of late waiting for the new call centre to come online).

If you want BT sport then go with BT or Plusnet.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Apr-14 09:52:13
Print Post

I expect the majority of people on here would recommend you go with Plusnet, although there are a few trolls who will pop up to tell you not to touch them with a bargepole. For me one of their main advantages over BT is the UK-based support (and yes, I know BT owns Plusnet, but it's not directly relevant here), although response times through the official channels can be somewhat slow.

You seem to have done the sums, although I haven't checked the figures. Have you considered the line rental issue and do the figures assume you will be moving your line rental as well? Also, Plusnet are extremely likely to be launching their own TV offering soon, which may change the calculations.

Ask away if you have any specific questions.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Apr-14 10:38:02
Print Post

The £7.50 per month for 6 months on Sky for the up to 38 Mbps was missing

Though is now an 18 month contract and router is £6.95 delivery

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/sky/package/1417.html

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 17-Apr-14 11:00:57
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The price he gives is for Infinity 2, so it's the 38mbps he is mistaken about and can take out of the comparison smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
ISP Representative thatadamwalker
(isp) Thu 17-Apr-14 11:19:20
Print Post

Just dropping in to say hi and thanks for considering switching to us.

Just let me know if you have any direct questions for us.

Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User DRW
(committed) Thu 17-Apr-14 11:38:07
Print Post

I like Plusnet for the problem tracking system.

Regardless of how an issue is raised you can monitor and add information to the "ticket"

I do not know if any other ISP has such an open problem handling process. When I was with BT they did not have such a system which would have been very helpful in dealing with their out sourced support group re clarity of voice communication.

However I did move to PN 10 years ago and so things may have changed in the BT customer support process.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Apr-14 13:00:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The price he gives is for Infinity 2, so it's the 38mbps he is mistaken about and can take out of the comparison smile.

I thought that's what I said? wink Maybe I didn't word it clearly enough
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Apr-14 14:21:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by zAndy1:
so going with plusnet will at least ensure I get an openreach modem and separate router that I could then upgrade if need be
Isn't the 78 Meg FTTC now a self-install with no OR modem but a VDSL/ADSL combined modem/router instead? Or is PN the only major ISP not doing this?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
ISP Representative thatadamwalker
(isp) Thu 17-Apr-14 15:14:11
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hi, yes we do still use the same system to track process or system problems. We should have an open ticket (or one on hold) including the ID if it's one that affects an individual or a small group of customers. Anything affecting a large proportion of our customer base would usually be posted as a service status http://status.plus.net

Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to