User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User think26872
(committed) Sat 19-Apr-14 16:00:10
Print Post

Are Plusnet planning a fibre self install / 12m option soon?

[link to this post]

I am considering getting Fibre 80/20. Does anyone know if Plusnet are planning to offer a self install or 12m contract soon for fibre?

Thanks
ISP Representative LinnPlusnet
(isp) Thu 24-Apr-14 16:42:15
Print Post

Re: Are Plusnet planning a fibre self install / 12m option s

[re: think26872] [link to this post]

Hi there,

Unfortunately we do not offer self install or 12 month contracts for Fibre at the moment. If this changes in the future then we'd announce this.

Linn Karstrom
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Nick_Russell
(experienced) Mon 28-Apr-14 13:56:07
Print Post

[re: LinnPlusnet] [link to this post]

This is a problem for me when our cabinet gets upgraded to fibre this year. I have run a cat 6 cable from a NT5 faceplate to my upstairs office. As far as I know, if I get an engineer install they will only connect to a master socket or run their own data cable, so I will have to leave Plusnet to move to an ISP that does self install.

Nick

Plusnet Unlimited Broadband 21CN Netgear DGND3300v2 router
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User beardedwonder
(regular) Mon 28-Apr-14 14:30:24
Print Post

[re: Nick_Russell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Nick_Russell:
This is a problem for me when our cabinet gets upgraded to fibre this year. I have run a cat 6 cable from a NT5 faceplate to my upstairs office. As far as I know, if I get an engineer install they will only connect to a master socket or run their own data cable, so I will have to leave Plusnet to move to an ISP that does self install.

Couldn't you just get them to install it by the master socket and then, after the engineer has gone, use the cat6 to connect a router upstairs to the fibre modem by the master socket?
Standard User kevinrduke
(regular) Mon 28-Apr-14 16:55:35
Print Post

I ran my own cat6 from the faceplate and the engineer was more that happy to use that.

That was a couple of years ago but as long as the cable is of good quality I don't see they will have an issue.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Apr-14 18:49:43
Print Post

As kevinrduke says, normally the engineers are happy to accept setups similar to yours. But!

If your CAT6 is connected to T2/T5 of a bog standard NTE5A that will not pass an engineer install, as they will want to install the VDSL interstitial faceplate and your NTE5A will plug into that. The socket it will plug into is filtered so has no VDSL signal. The interstitial plate does however have unfiltered A/B terminals that your CAT6 could connect to and all will be fine.

If you have a filtered faceplate such as an earlier BT one or an Adsl Nation XTE-2005, with the CAT6 connected to the A/B terminals of that, then the VDSL interstitial faceplate is not required. However, it seems the new VDSL filter is slightly better than ADSLx filters. Bear that in mind as well wrt the previous paragraph, as whatever filter (if any) you have in the office will be an ADSLx one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(experienced) Mon 28-Apr-14 20:03:56
Print Post

[re: beardedwonder] [link to this post]

Hi, I cannot get the engineer to install by the master socket as there is no power socket.

I am using a modified NTE5 from Clarity with unfiltered A/B to connect my cat6 cable to. I am assuming this will be OK for a fibre connection?

https://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=1...

Nick

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Apr-14 20:51:58
Print Post

Yes, if he accepts it, but bear in mind what I said about the filter quality at the office end. It isn't critically important, it will work fine.

The worst that should happen would be he removes the Clarity and installs the VDSL filter and a standard NTE5A. In which case make sure he hands you your Clarity faceplate, and swap it back when he's gone tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(experienced) Tue 29-Apr-14 06:53:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you for your reply, sorry to be a pain but I don't have any filters at my office end. I did not think I needed them since I have connected my cat6 cable to unfiltered A/B sockets. is this corrrect?

Nick

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 29-Apr-14 08:02:33
Print Post

If you plug anything other than a modem in, it needs a filter.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to