User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zoombapup
(newbie) Tue 22-Apr-14 12:38:48
Print Post

Considering a switch, but there are complications!

[link to this post]

Hey all.

I've recently been switched to Sky from Be after they were bought out. Needless to say my normal connection with Be has been less good with Sky (initially they have DLM which is meant to take 7-15 days or so) and I'm thinking of moving on.

But.. I might also be moving house.

So if I go with Plusnet (I'm thinking Unlimited Fibre) it has an 18 month contract. But what if I move during that contract? What if plusnet isn't available in the area I move to?

Surely as Plusnet are part of BT, then they should have exactly the same coverage as BT? In which case there really wouldn't be a problem as BT coverage is pretty good right?

I've been with Plusnet before and was happy with them (apart from the usage quota which I constantly hit) so the unlimited option seems to be pretty good for me. I'm just bothered because I hate long term contracts.

Thanks,

Phil.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Apr-14 15:55:51
Print Post

Re: Considering a switch, but there are complications!

[re: zoombapup] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zoombapup:
Surely as Plusnet are part of BT, then they should have exactly the same coverage as BT?
Yes, but not cuz they are a subsidiary of BT but cuz they use BTw BB exchange kit (as do EE & others).

BT's coverage is nationwide, but not all exchanges are equal; some have ADSL2+, some have ADSL Max only and some have Fibre. Whatever they have BT & PN will sell the same platforms at the same exchange.

Best to work out where you are moving to 1st and check out its exchange.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Apr-14 16:03:57
Print Post

The only problem i think that you would have or could experience with a FTTC service is the lack of FTTC in the area you move to, as it isn't yet available to everyone with a phone line, So the availaility of FTTC at the address you move to would be key you can check before you move using the btw adsl availability checker , if it doesn't list FTTC then it may not be available or the line maybe EO as very close to a telephone exchange and therefore not have a PCP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Tue 22-Apr-14 19:23:33
Print Post

I'd suggest you check with them what happens if you move within contact (especially if fibre)

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Apr-14 19:42:10
Print Post

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

No need!
15. If you move house during your minimum period, and continue to receive a Plusnet Fibre service, a new minimum period of 18 or 24 months depending on the service you choose will start, replacing the existing one. Other house move charges may also apply as set out in the price guide.

16. If you move home during the minimum period, to a part of the UK where Plusnet do not offer a fibre service, customers may move from the fibre service to a Plusnet broadband package without penalty. Other house move charges may also apply as set out in the price guide.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User jamie543
(regular) Tue 22-Apr-14 22:37:54
Print Post

Your whole logic for moving ISP doesnt make sense if its purely to do with DLM nearly all ISP's have this (including Plusnet) so welcome to life without BE. I was also with BE but left them almost a year and half ago as fibre became available in my area i choose to go to sky and havent had any real issues other then the router breaking, DLM has never botherd me on FTTC and my router gets switched off when the key metre for the electric runs out and i have never seen a speed drop so if its purely DLM thats swaying you dont be put off

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 22-Apr-14 23:54:57
Print Post

[re: jamie543] [link to this post]

He has been moved from Be LLU to Sky LLU. Sky LLU always connects initially at 4Mbps, (or less if the line won't do that), and after a few days ramps up in stages. The Sky DLM is nothing like the BT Wholesale one, and the FTTC one is different again (and does apply to Sky).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 22-Apr-14 23:55:55)

Standard User jamie543
(regular) Wed 23-Apr-14 07:58:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes i know this my sister is on Sky LLU over 2 years also has no issues with DLM after 3 to 4 days she was getting almost 16 meg and the line is stable which is the main thing

Print Thread

Jump to