User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hopkapi
(learned) Sun 04-May-14 09:34:59
Print Post

Simultaneous provides + line speed?

[link to this post]

I'll be moving in roughly a week and since Openreach seem intent on dragging out the commissioning of my new cabinet's fibre twin (31st May estimate - "Sorry we need to do more work on our network before we can make your cabinet live. Bear with us.") I'm trying to at least ensure I've got ADSL2+ there.

I called CS to check a couple of details before I order and was told it'll take a couple of days to switch the phone line, then another 5-7 days for the broadband to be activated. When I asked why they wouldn't both happen at the same time (a simultaneous provide) I was told that is categorically not something Plusnet does/has ever done. Am I misunderstanding simultaneous provides, do Plusnet not offer them, or was the CS rep mistaken?

Also, as my new address is roughly 130m from the exchange, I was wondering whether the 10 to 19.5 line speed estimate the BTW checker is giving me might actually be erring on the safe side, as I was under the impression that those of us living absurdly close to exchanges could actually get the previous promoted mythical 24Mbps speeds.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-May-14 13:48:53
Print Post

Re: Simultaneous provides + line speed?

[re: hopkapi] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hopkapi:
I was under the impression that those of us living absurdly close to exchanges could actually get the previous promoted mythical 24Mbps speeds.
How far are you away from the cab? Remember the distance involved for ADSL is that for your premises to the cab and then the cab to the exchange. Be grateful though that you are on a cab rather than direct to the exchange (an EO line) as this means that you will be getting FTTC even if somewhat delayed. Unless, of course, the delay is due to BT having newly installed the cab and so making your line no longer an EO line in which case be thankful!
Standard User hopkapi
(learned) Sun 04-May-14 17:40:24
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

While I'm not completely certain where the cab is, as the location shown on the Openreach Superfast site doesn't correspond to even a PCP on Street View, the closest cab I can find is roughly 160m away from the building.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jaggies
(committed) Mon 05-May-14 19:43:23
Print Post

The BT ADSL checker should show you the cab number you are connected to; it is usually stencilled on the cab itself.

Brian
From September 2001 on BTopenworld Home 500/Home 1000/Home 2000. Then ADSLMax on <n>ildram. Moved to ADSL2+ from ADSL24. I'm now with plusnet. I'm not saying who I work for. Any opinions expressed here are my own.
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Tue 06-May-14 08:25:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by hopkapi:
I was told that is categorically not something Plusnet does/has ever done. Am I misunderstanding simultaneous provides, do Plusnet not offer them, or was the CS rep mistaken?

I moved from full LLU to Plusnet a couple of years ago on a simultaneous provide order.
I'd say the rep is mistaken although they may just be quoting what they have been told is company policy. Sounded like a very definite statement from them!

You'd be better off asking a rep on here to help out with your order to see if they can put a sim provide through.

xilo Fibre+ BQM
ISP Representative thatadamwalker
(isp) Tue 06-May-14 16:40:39
Print Post

Hi hopkapi,

Sorry for any unexpected delays with your order. There is truth in that we currently don't handle simultaneous orders as part of our automated provisioning process. That's something we're working to improve on in the future. It isn't true to say that this isn't something we could or have ever done.

I'm sorry we weren't able to cater for that for you and would invite you to drop me a reply/PM with your username or ticket ID if there's anything left outstanding.

Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-May-14 12:31:46
Print Post

[re: thatadamwalker] [link to this post]

Post deleted by pcoventry76

Edited by pcoventry76 (Thu 08-May-14 14:05:13)

Print Thread

Jump to