User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-May-14 14:41:06
Print Post

Re: Next year's "alert" letters

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

So, WWE is not important enough to you to pay for Sky where you could get the content so you will download it illegally?

It is available to you. You don't like the price point. So you will steal it instead. Sounds totally moral to me.

but I have no other legal option

Rubbish. You do. You just don't want to pay the cost of it.
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Mon 12-May-14 15:06:55
Print Post

I just don't see the point. If (as the BBC man said it would be) it's 4 letters and then nothing why bother sending out the 4?

There is a point, but it's so stealthy people will initially miss it. It is a way of letting you know that they have detected you sharing content. Your name has the potential to be added to a Data Sharing Offenders Register (which I'll call the DSOR from this point on). Btw, I've just made this DSOR up (I'm not aware that one exists yet, but give them time, and something like this will exist, of that I'm sure).

Per http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27330150

A record of which accounts had received alerts, and how many, will be kept on file by the ISPs for up to a year.

The rights holders will receive a monthly break down of how many alerts have been sent out, but only the ISPs will know the identities of the customers involved.

So they've already got the first step in place. After this is done, the next legislative step would be to setup a permanent DSOR system, which can then be used to start "black marking" you for how you use/abuse the internet. Just like you may be "black marked" for how you use/abuse credit (aka. your credit rating).

Governments and corporations do not like what they can't control. They are only just now beginning to catch up with the freedom the Internet had 20 years ago, and are now starting to clobber that too. Sad really. And in my opinion, this is only the start of much worse things to come.

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (BQMv4) | IPv6 via HE (BQMv6) | 60/20Mb FTTC
Previous ISPs: <aaisp.net> | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited | Zen
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-May-14 15:13:23
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

It's more of a case of not being able to have Sky where I live, but thanks for pretending to know something you clearly have no clue on.. The other option is to pay per day for sports just to watch it in the week. You might have 120 a month to spend but I don't (it's £10 a day for a sports pass)

Anyone who has ever watched Youtube has"stolen" something from the copyright owners. Youtube is the biggest copyright rip off in the land.

Not everything is on Netflix either and yes I pay for that (and all my music is legally sourced too) It's just that one thing that I am TRYING to get sorted.

I don't pay a TV licence, And all but Channel 4 don't block the ads ( http://prntscr.com/3ij4jr ) so yes I get things online.

You call it what you like. I call it entertainment, free or otherwise

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Mon 12-May-14 15:15:21
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

I see, I didn't know that bit had been discussed/printed.

it will be a sad day when everything is viewed and monitored. But as you say it is coming.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-May-14 15:22:06
Print Post

It's more of a case of not being able to have Sky where I live

That is not what you said:

I can't get the WWE network here yet and also sky is expensive so I get it via torrents

You said Sky was expensive so why wouldn't you say it isn't available rather than expensive? But again, even at £10 per day it is available - you keep saying you can't get it then saying it is too expensive.

Youtube is largely dealt with by agreements around content and they take down content where the owner complains. That is not the case for torrents. 2 totally different subjects.

I am not pretending to know something. There was no way I could know from your post that you could not get Sky as you just said it was expensive.

Obviously you don't like the fact that I consider what you are doing to be wrong and that you are attempting to justify it based on cost or availability. This argument can be used for all sorts of things and the only time people think it is morally fine is with content made available without copyright owners permission.

Your arguments I believe are all invalid. There are a number of films that I can't get via NowTV, Netflix or Amazon Prime - but I don't download them from torrents to get around this, I just don't bother to watch them - if they don't want to make them available in a way I consider justified by the cost then I won't bother with them.
Standard User mlmclaren
(regular) Mon 12-May-14 15:29:16
Print Post

Sky may show some content so even if pcoventry76 did pay for a day pass everyday he still wouldn't be able to watch most the content which is aired on the WWE network...

I had the same problem with NHL until premier sports became available on the web and Virgin..

And still don't get all content availabel.

MLM

Edited by mlmclaren (Mon 12-May-14 15:30:36)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-May-14 15:39:01
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Again, that is because the content owners are specifically not allowing it. My take is that if someone wants to block me from doing something then fine - I will go and do something else instead. They do own the content and if they choose to limit their audience then that is down to them.

These things are highly annoying. Personally I don't see why I should have to wait months after a US showing of a TV show to see it over here. But just because it frustrates me does not send me off to torrents to get it - they don't want me to have it, fine, I won't.

I do not have any sort of human right to access entertainment but the people that own the content do seem to have rights in law to control access to it. I choose not to break those copyright laws - others choose to break them. I don't really care they choose to break them but I really hate when people try to justify it.
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-May-14 15:50:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
Obviously you don't like the fact that I consider what you are doing to be wrong

Obviously you don't like the fact that in your eyes I am doing something wrong and you can do nothing about it.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Mon 12-May-14 15:58:45)

(knowledge is power) Mon 12-May-14 15:54:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
My take is that if someone wants to block me from doing something then fine

Great! as I have blocked your self righteous spaffle from reaching my eyes - Good day smile
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-May-14 16:21:50
Print Post

Fair enough wink

PS - I'll ask someone else to repost this so that you can see it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to