User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(regular) Mon 12-May-14 17:01:49
Print Post

Static IP's Question?

[link to this post]

I'm looking to join Plusnet FTTC when it becomes available in my area and have some questions about fttc..

1st question is how much the Static IP's cost: I'm aware they are £5 but is that one off or monthly.

2nd. Can I have more than 1 static IP (Reason Below)

I have an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express

I'm going to use the Airport Extreme as the main router via PPPOE connected to the VDSL modem and want to use the Airport Express in My garage/Office to extend the wireless and the network and wanted to assign the airport extreme 1 static ip and another to the Airport Express so that I can get the guest network working in the garage as well as the house as using the airport express can't do guest network in Bridge mode.

Thanks in advance.

MLM
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-May-14 17:14:35
Print Post

Re: Static IP's Question?

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Q1 One off charge
Q2 Not on a residential account

Edited by Oldjim (Mon 12-May-14 17:15:19)

Standard User mlmclaren
(regular) Mon 12-May-14 17:53:13
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

So if I went for business FTTC I would get more than 1 static IP but would they still be one off £5 charge?

And what else would i get on business over residential?

Virgin Media 50/3 > SH2 Modem Mode > Airport Extreme 5th Gen

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-May-14 18:06:52
Print Post

http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/IP_bloc... gives the information but I am not sure that you would get one for the reasons you give
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 12-May-14 18:07:33
Print Post

Am I missing something here? Why is a second static IP address needed?

Couldn't you give the Express a fixed LAN IP address on the Extreme's network, and disable the DHCP on the Express?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Mon 12-May-14 18:24:51
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Oh yes I forget that IPv4 is in short supply now, and after looking into it more, doing what IU wanted which is basically having 2 routers running with DHCP both with different static IP's, It wouldn't work as well as I first assumed...

But still answered a my main question that was on my mind which was the cost..

So thanks for the information, I'm sure I'll be back soon

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 12-May-14 18:51:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Can't see a static WAN ip address helping in the slightest.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Mon 12-May-14 18:59:01
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

well I thought I might be able to set 2 apple airports up each with its own static IP so I could have both of them broadcasting guest networks as well as separating office and home connections,

But then I realised that switching between 2 DHCP routers could confuse the network or device connecting to them.

I now need to know also if when plusnet assign me a static IP does it configure on the VDSL Modem (HG612) or on the Router (Base Station)??

As I have an airport extreme which I can't configure a static IP on when connecting with PPPOE or so it seems.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 12-May-14 19:05:13
Print Post

The modem passes through the WAN IP address to the router. I don't think you need a static IP address to give a guest network.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Mon 12-May-14 19:14:16
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

So by that logic I wouldn't need to configure the airport extreme for the static ip and I don't need it for the guest network.....

If I Have my airport extreme broadcasting a guest network and then connect my airport express by Ethernet in bridge mode, the airport cannot broadcast the guest because it requires the IP address provided by my ISP to do so where in bridge mode it is assigned an IP from the DHCP pool.

And I wanted the Guest network on the Airport Express to in a separate IP range to my home network.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to