User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-May-14 21:00:38
Print Post

Tempted to migrate in from Infinity - couple of questions

[link to this post]

Having done the maths, I've determined PN is the best price for my requirements - move from BT Infinity 2 to Plusnet Fibre with landline rental. I need static IP and I'm very interested in IPv6, but realise this is still in trial, but a static IPv4 would make it easier to use a tunnel.

Has anyone had any issues with performance expectations after moving from BT to PN, other than the thread started by MrPete recently?

Are PN likely to be able to investigate with OR why my upstream seems to be capped at 9mbps, when I get 52mbps download? (sync) - or should I look to move to AAISP for that sort of diagnostics? I need to be sure before starting another 18 month plan.

I've seen some good tbb speedtest results from PN users, which is encouraging, just wanting to make sure I won't be dramatically affected by the different business model. smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
15 years broadband (1999 ntl: cablemodem, BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical speedtest
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 17-May-14 21:56:05
Print Post

Re: Tempted to migrate in from Infinity - couple of question

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Ummmm. It would certainly need the reps, not normal support.

Have you had WWWombat and Bald_Eagle1 look at your stats, or haven't you got an HG612? That's the place to start, looking at the band allocations at Discovery and Medley stages:-
Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2782)
DS: (33,859) (1216,1961) (2793,3970)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2780)

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 17-May-14 21:58:43)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-May-14 22:09:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I suspect it's a tough call on most ISPs. MHC suggested checking in this thread.

Max:	Upstream rate = 9781 Kbps, Downstream rate = 58844 Kbps
Bearer:	0, Upstream rate = 9837 Kbps, Downstream rate = 51575 Kbps

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2782) 
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2590) 
DS: (33,859) (1216,1961) (2793,3648) 
	  VDSL Port Details		  Upstream		  Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate:	     9781 kbps		    58844 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power:	       6.7 dBm		     12.7 dBm
====================================================================================
  VDSL Band Status	U0	U1	U2	U3	U4	D1	D2	D3
  Line Attenuation(dB):	6.3	33.7	50.3	N/A	N/A	16.1	41.4	63.1
Signal Attenuation(dB):	6.3	32.9	48.6	N/A	N/A	17.8	41.1	63.4
        SNR Margin(dB):	6.2	6.2	6.1	N/A	N/A	6.1	6.1	6.1
         TX Power(dBm):	0.5	-9.4	5.3	N/A	N/A	9.4	8.2	5.2

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
15 years broadband (1999 ntl: cablemodem, BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical speedtest

Edited by jchamier (Sat 17-May-14 22:12:28)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 17-May-14 22:22:48
Print Post

Not my scene, but there are losses at the top of both up and down plans. On mine there is little if any.

So some of your available is being clobbered by something. That's as much as I can tell I'm afraid. Odd that the top of the upstream goes, yet the bottom of the third downstream still starts at the same point just above the US Discovery then loses out later.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 17-May-14 22:31:48)

Standard User shinerweb
(learned) Sat 17-May-14 22:40:20
Print Post

All I can say is PN have always been top drawer for me.

Last Tuesday my BT line failed. (Combination of a waterlogged underground cable chamber and a badly made 100 pair cable assembly).
It dropped out at 1.51am so when I woke up, no phone, no internet.
I rang PN at 9am in the morning expecting to have to listen to 30-40 minutes of Human Leagues Don't you want me and was surprised when PN rep answered the call on the 2nd ring.
Unfortunately, because it was a line fault, I was at the mercy of BT OR to come out to fix it. They didn't arrive until Thursday at around 3pm (which was a week earlier than BT had originally said but luckily a nearby BT account holder had also reported issues with her phone a week earlier and it was in the same junction box). When he found my broken line he looked up the number and realised there was a fault logged so cleared a couple of faults working on the one job...

Anyway, connection back up by 4pm and I was once again a happy bunny, or happy ish. Probably due to DLM, my download had dropped to <40M from it's usual 70M+ and my ping times had gone through the roof probably due to high interleaving levels being applied.

Imagine my surprise when at 7.30pm I get a call from PN saying they had noticed that my line had been fixed but that my connection stats were below 25% of the expected and wasn't performing as well as they like. They arranged for an engineer to come out and investigate (just required a DLM reset so why they have to physically come out to do that is beyond me, although he did do a thorough test of the line at the same time).

I couldn't get over PN phoning me up before I had a chance to call them to complain about the lower speeds/higher pings.

Other than outages beyond the control of PN, or UK wide outages, I can honestly say I've never had any issues with PN what so ever. Prior to FTTC, I was on a really long ADSL connection with speeds no greater than 2.6M download.

I've got a fixed IP address and I do pay the extra £5 for the higher priority traffic option which to be fair, I don't think you need these days, but I'm too paranoid to switch it off. I don't have a comparison as to how it performs without it, as I always had it when on ADSL and just never switched it off.
I'm using around 300GB of peak time traffic and 50GB of off-peak traffic and probably more due to my location in a relatively small village, have never suffered with congestion since moving to FTTC.

I did however switch from using the PN supplied router. Whilst it was one of the most stable routers I had ever used, the wireless performance left a lot to be desired in terms of speed/range. I picked up a TP Link Archer C7 AC1750 (dual 2.4GHz / 5 GHz radios, multiple antennae, works with IPTV out of the box).

For what I pay, and the level of service I get, you cannot fault it. YMMV depending on your physical location, but if there are problems with your network, it will be down to OR problems and not PN. PN do interface well with OR and not just because BT are their parent company. They continue to operate as a separate entity and long may they do so too.

Not been this happy since the early days of Demon and Pipex.

Chris

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-May-14 22:49:11
Print Post

[re: shinerweb] [link to this post]

Thanks Chris, as an ex Demonite too before the sale (early 90s) that sounds great, thanks.

Standard User dragon2611
(committed) Sun 18-May-14 11:11:58
Print Post

Certainly can't moan about Plusnet's service so far.

Migrated from Sky FTTC last December onto Plusnet Business fibre as I wanted a static IP and the ability to use my own router (I was doing so with Sky anyway but at least with Plusnet I don't have to worry about some stupid T&C)

Other than a slight hiccup in the migration process caused by some bad communication between Openreach and Plusnet leading P/N to believe an engineer was needed when one wasn't.

Appointment was booked, engineer didn't turn up, phoned up at the end of the day, P/N booked another one, but then it looks like Openreach switched my Port in the FTTC cab over from Sky to P/N remotely By changing the Port config that evening and then cancelled the 2nd engineer without telling P/N.

Either way it was quickly sorted by calling plusnet and explaining to them that I believe the migration actually did go ahead and getting them to switch my account to active on their systems so that my PPP login worked. Can't blame P/N for OR saying one thing and then doing another wink

I did find the way they allocate static IP blocks a bit strange when I first encountered it (Only applicable to business) as one of your IP's from the Block is allocated on the PPP interface itself.

Speed wise everything seems to be fine, had a couple small outages since I joined caused by a problem their end but they were fixed fairly quickly.

The main reason I actually went with Plusnet over anyone else is they seem to be a lot more transparent than other ISP's, they're not as good as AAISP in this regard ( then again they're not nearly as expensive as AAISP either) but they are considerably better than most of the providers out there at letting you know what they're upto and keeping you informed if/when something does go wrong.

That and when you call them you actually feel like you are talking to a person who can apply some braincells to the problem rather than just read from a script (Well thats certainly the case with the business team, I'd hope it's the same with the residential team)

Edit:

Forgot to mention, IPv6 tunnel works fine on P/N, using tunnelbroker here.

Edited by dragon2611 (Sun 18-May-14 11:16:35)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-May-14 11:32:01
Print Post

[re: dragon2611] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dragon2611:
Certainly can't moan about Plusnet's service so far.

Sounds good, thanks for the info smile

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-May-14 14:19:30
Print Post

[re: dragon2611] [link to this post]

I worked in both business and residential when I was at Plusnet.

No scripts anywhere - the business team pride themselves in quick and fast support. The res team have more to handle but then there are more of them ( or that;s the way it used to be anyway)

I am tempted to move over to business at some point also
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 18-May-14 17:57:47
Print Post

As you know I did the same move.

Ups and downs in no particular order.

Infinity performance was consistent, I got line speed on anything I could expect to (eu and eastern american traffic) pretty much 24/7. My tbb graph was generaly a flatline min and avg latency match.
Plusnet performance is generally ok, improved since I was put on the ipv6 trial (which I think has some different network configuration even on ipv4), since 90% of my time on plusnet is on the trial account my comments may be misguided. When I first went live, I immediatly noticed packetloss on ssh, this seemed to go away when I upgraded to pro, but I then very quickly got an ipv6 test account and started using that. On that test account there has been no packet loss on ssh sessions, a few weeks ago I temporarily went back to my main account and the packet loss was back immediatly and consistent, then went back to test account and was gone again, I reported this to kelly, but no idea if plusnet have looked into it or not. Occasionally speeds have gone below par which a gateway jump has always fixed suggesting occasionally plusnet gateways become bottlenecks although some staff have been saying its not the gateways but the BTw routing to those gateways.
Session uptime - Plusnet do occasionally boot people off for load balancing, if you want to avoid this try to get yourself on a gateway with less users on, which I think will then make this less likely. Infinity did also terminate ppp sessions as well tho ( I think they do it to force cycle ip's), so this isnt an entire new thing for plusnet except it seems more frequent.

Support regarding faults - I think plusnet is a clear winner here. Its a lot easier to get engineers, in addition the fee's are much lower on plusnet as they subsidised. (if charged). Also there was a BTw fault a while back, and I (and others) were able to via the plusnet forum able to get an investigation done without having to jump through the normal support hoops. This got fixed and hasnt reccoured since.

I think you may not get ipv6 for a while, I was extremely lucky that when I signed up they were starting a new trial right at that moment. But then again you may get one a week after you signup if they open new slots, who knows. The static ip is a clear win tho, BT wanting to limit that to business customers on infinity I think is a dumb move, but they seem to have a paranoia about business's using residential products.

Peering quality also seems to have improved, my performance from america is now noticebly better than when I signed up. Netflix also ramps up resolution much faster than it used to a couple of months ago.

TBB graphs do look shaky, but this I havent seen affecting live performance, eg. if tbb is showing jitter and I send 50 pings to bbc.co.uk they will be within 1ms of each other.

(just checked my live tbb, and is currently looking quite good at time of this post).

Edited by Chrysalis (Sun 18-May-14 18:01:00)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to