User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User digi
(member) Thu 22-May-14 22:40:27
Print Post

Residential vs Business Unlimited Fibre & Phone

[link to this post]

Hi, I'm interested in Plusnet Business fibre & phone mainly for the ability to apply for a block of static IPs.

I'm wondering what does the higher priced Business package offer over Residential? Are the network speeds/contention/priority the same on both packages?

Is the only difference the 'All inclusive features' (Unlimited email, 2 free .co.uk domains and 500Mb web space)? For me these features don't really add any value.

Regards
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-May-14 08:50:43
Print Post

Re: Residential vs Business Unlimited Fibre & Phone

[re: digi] [link to this post]

You'd be best checking that PN will give you an IP block before you commit - the reasons have to be justified by filling in a RIPE form. It's not automatic that on a business account you can have a block.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-May-14 09:26:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by digi:
Hi, I'm interested in Plusnet Business fibre & phone mainly for the ability to apply for a block of static IPs.

I'm wondering what does the higher priced Business package offer over Residential? Are the network speeds/contention/priority the same on both packages?

Is the only difference the 'All inclusive features' (Unlimited email, 2 free .co.uk domains and 500Mb web space)? For me these features don't really add any value.

Regards

Business has higher priority (everything is top as far as I can recall). You get business support during office hours but outside these hours by residential.

My advice, after working on both the business and res teams in the past - call the business sales (or support line, they will happily chat with you) and after you have spoken to them I am sure you will know the value of the service.

Res are great don't get me wrong but the business support team are on another level. No call stats as they have strict targets and a real passion for what they do.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Fri 23-May-14 09:27:30)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User digi
(member) Fri 23-May-14 21:31:56
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jelv:
You'd be best checking that PN will give you an IP block before you commit - the reasons have to be justified by filling in a RIPE form. It's not automatic that on a business account you can have a block.

Thanks, yes I understand it has to be justified.
Standard User digi
(member) Fri 23-May-14 21:43:34
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Business has higher priority (everything is top as far as I can recall). You get business support during office hours but outside these hours by residential.

Thanks I don't really need priority support either. I'm just wondering if business users have higher priority in terms of their data going through the network. Like in the past ADSL Home vs Business had different contention ratios (e.g. 50:1, 20:1 respectively). Does anything like that apply with fibre Home vs Business packages?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-May-14 23:28:54
Print Post

Contention ratios have long gone.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User gordonsuk
(newbie) Sun 25-May-14 09:32:17
Print Post

Hi,

Just thought I'd share my experience of contacting Plusnet Business before I decided to finally move to Zen.

I was primarily after a block of static ip's rather than the standard single static IP.
Plusnet Business advised they could only offer me 2 useable IP addresses as they were running low.

Was enough to put me off joining them and moved off to Zen - where they were able to provide a block of 8 without issue.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 25-May-14 11:02:03
Print Post

[re: gordonsuk] [link to this post]

The thing is there are no more IPv4 addresses available to be issued to ISPs, so it isn't surprising that some will run out before others. Soon IPv6 will have to become more mainstream.

Zen, being a premium-priced ISP with a mainly business customer base, will have invested in getting as many as they could while they could.

Even so, I don't suppose two would be much use.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to