User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-May-14 15:08:57
Print Post

Quick Usage Question

[link to this post]

Asked before but I want to make sure.

On VM I was guilty of doing around 1TB a month. Is this going to be a problem on FTTC or will no one care

Thanks
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 25-May-14 15:14:11
Print Post

Re: Quick Usage Question

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Nobody will care, expect possibly your family smile

(If it's advertised as unlimited usage, it has to be unlimited usage, those are now the rules)

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Sun 25-May-14 15:19:24)

(knowledge is power) Sun 25-May-14 15:24:01
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
Nobody will care, expect possibly your family smile

(If it's advertised as unlimited usage, it has to be unlimited usage, those are now the rules)

Thanks for the reply Kevin, No one using it but me smile

Also thanks for putting your sig stats in. I am , i'd say about 100-150M from the cab and I hope to be able to get as "clean" as possible connection when it goes in on Wednesday

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brandscill
(committed) Sun 25-May-14 16:01:24
Print Post

Not questioning your usage but that's impressive.

When I lived in a house of 5 students 1TB was the upper limit generally.

Virgin Media 60mb
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 25-May-14 16:03:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Also thanks for putting your sig stats in. I am , i'd say about 100-150M from the cab and I hope to be able to get as "clean" as possible connection when it goes in on Wednesday

Should be AOK, I do pretty well, although I have come across full sync at 450m. I've actually been sync'd at 72152 for the past 6 weeks or so, with no interleaving, but it is prone to being knocked back to around 65M with interleaving for extended periods. Can't complain really, compared with the speeds I was getting on ADSL, being about three miles from the exchange.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 25-May-14 16:06:29
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brandscill:

This has been my highest month ever at about 180GB, and that's with a lot of TV/radio streaming, but I can't see how I could get anywhere near 1TB. But then I was surviving quite happily with a 5GB monthly limit not that long ago. smile

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-May-14 17:31:40
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brandscill:

When I lived in a house of 5 students 1TB was the upper limit generally.

It's far less than others do but far more than others do too.someone said on VBF they did 7+TB last month, they all admit to doing torrents and usenet. Mines all legal

Edit:: Also not really impressive when you consider I stream a lot of Music, Sky player and Netflix and Netflix will do at a minimum HD spec 3-4GB an hour. I have it on most of the day.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sun 25-May-14 17:33:35)

(knowledge is power) Sun 25-May-14 17:32:31
Print Post

I've dropped from Virgin's 152 service which actually syncs at 168 and delivers 165 most of the time. I could also get it here but I would rather pay for another line and get x2 whatever I can get on FTTC.
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 25-May-14 21:33:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Edit:: Also not really impressive when you consider I stream a lot of Music, Sky player and Netflix and Netflix will do at a minimum HD spec 3-4GB an hour. I have it on most of the day.

Legal streaming video makes up most of my transfer as well but I'm not really in the TB range, typically doing 200-300GB/month - a couple of months I've hit 500-600GB but that was accidental. No complaints from Plusnet so far... tongue
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 25-May-14 22:44:37
Print Post

I was hitting 200-350 GB a month on my 10 Mbps connection a few months ago (before I bought a NowTV streaming box). When I rejoin NowTV (either with films or entertainment) my usage may go up. I want to go for fibre but see no point paying for PN's unlimited "up to 76 Mbps" when my line is estimated at around 33.5 Mbps, so may get a line from someone else.

One thing I suggested some years ago was for PN, as part of their billing cycle, before they zero the usage figures for each day (as displayed on the 'Usage this month') to e-mail the figures to the customer and then zero them. At the time, I think I had a 60 GB limit, or it might have been different, but it was at a time when a user had no independent stats historically if they were charged for higher levels of use, so it would have been primarily of benefit before 'unlimited' came along, but for anyone curious as to their usage over a number of months it would also now be quite handy, and probably a tiny overhead for PN in terms of processing.

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to