User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-May-14 14:07:59
Print Post

Re: PlusNet UK Prep Product Refresh and Half Price Fibre

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

If I can get a fresh line on Primus at 5.99/month, then the lower price offer (when it comes) for "up to 38 Mbps", will be ideal.

Only advantage of PN (with current line rental, paid in advance, keeping it somewhat lower than the rest) was that Caller Display was charged at a lower level than most (if not all) other firms.

I don't suppose anyone can say whether indirect access services work on a PN line ?
(eg dialling 1899 to use 1899.com / Finarea, for their 6p connect + 0p/min UK calls to 01+02 numbers... some telco firms block access to such services.)

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-May-14 18:25:19
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ultra:
I don't suppose anyone can say whether indirect access services work on a PN line ?
(eg dialling 1899 to use 1899.com / Finarea, for their 6p connect + 0p/min UK calls to 01+02 numbers... some telco firms block access to such services.)

Yes, they do work.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Fri 30-May-14 18:25:47)

Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-May-14 18:50:06
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

You do realise that if the phone isn't with Plusnet there is a £2.50 per month surcharge (I assume that won't be changing with the new packages and also from previous experience taking broadband only won't be on special offer)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 30-May-14 22:51:10
Print Post

[re: OnFire] [link to this post]

these media sites need to start catching on for what is the real change.,

The real change is a rise in line rental, and line feature costs.

But is masked by a temporary offer. The line rental annual increases are out of control but I have yet to see a single news story focus on that. This is especially when wholesale line rental has dropped.

Plusnet now is basically a seller of line rental and calls, with the broadband service just been used to drag those customers in. 9p a min to 01/02/03 thats just bonkers, its more than it costs on my mobile phone. Plus inflation busting rise on line rental.

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 30-May-14 22:53:33)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 30-May-14 22:56:37
Print Post

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

Good and bad I guess, but I think the real reason they not pushing it on existing customers is churn, especially as this inflation busting rise would give everyone an opt-out.

Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 31-May-14 18:33:55
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
You do realise that if the phone isn't with Plusnet there is a £2.50 per month surcharge...
Thanks OJ, quite understand about the extra fee when not taking a PN line, though the cost of a PN line (compared with £5.99 + £2.50) would still be higher than I'd be paying. The limited "pluses" would be some 0845+0870 calls which aren't included on my mobile or via 1899, and low cost Caller Display (unless it ever rises from £0.99)

from previous experience taking broadband only won't be on special offer
unless the £14.99 (June 10) price is only for new customers, I'd be able to get that. No point me wanting the higher speed with speed estimate of 33.5 Mbps, the thing stopping me considering PN before is/was the 40 GB allowance, but anyway, as an existing customer, what are the odds of me getting the £9.99 rate.

Of course, being ineligible for discounts, as an existing customer,(for free setup if I took phone line), then whether or not I went for the higher cost FTTC service, ineligibility would also mean that I'd have to pay the setup fee, and a line installation fee, too...

My options seem to vary considerably every quarter. I want to retain my fixed IP on PN, but know that another connection of similar speed with a dynamic IP would be handy (as I do websites and network testing so pros and cons of both static and dynamic, and am considering a third line for IPv6, from yet another ISP smile )

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-May-14 23:34:17
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

You do realise that if the phone isn't with Plusnet there is a £2.50 per month surcharge

Is this with the new changes? my folks have had PN on it's own for years and never been charged this
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-May-14 23:35:56
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I totally forgot about the new ruling. My contract is covered as it was signed on 8th of May and service provided 28th

The website right now reads to me that people who sign up before 9th June get first 6 months for £9,99 and they still only pay £14.50 rental. So at that point they are existing customers and so on the 10th of June their prices will remain the same.

So I am to pay 100% price because I signed up in May and was activated 2 days before this amazing offer came to light.. As I said I won't kick off about it - Nothing will be done anyway. But I will remember that at the end of the 18 months.

After all - whichever way you look at it - It's still out of order for people who signed up just before the goal posts changed. OR have I got it 100% wrong?

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sat 31-May-14 23:44:25)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 01-Jun-14 00:36:38
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
You do realise that if the phone isn't with Plusnet there is a £2.50 per month surcharge
Is this with the new changes? my folks have had PN on it's own for years and never been charged this
As of the previous set of changes, but only apply to new signups from that point.

Plusnet are as far as I can tell are and have always been very scrupulous with broadband charges for existing customers. They can stay on their product and price almost as long as they wish, for years. Including those with "taken-over by Plusnet" ISPs.

This is good in a way, but also bad in another, as people can be on old, expensive or facility-lacking products and don't get notified that they could advantageously change product.

This one of the reasons I upgraded to the Unlimited FTTC without phone at £19.99 when I could. A while after that the £2.50 premium for non-PN line rental was introduced. I just saw something like that coming.

Line rentals seem to go up regularly as part of the contract, as with all ISPs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 01-Jun-14 00:37:23)

Standard User zom22
(member) Sun 01-Jun-14 09:01:39
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
After all - whichever way you look at it - It's still out of order for people who signed up just before the goal posts changed. OR have I got it 100% wrong?

Surely that is the way all offers/contract work everywhere
The offer is valid on the day at the time you sign on the dotted line so to speak.
Any firm is entitled to change it's terms for new contracts at any time and if they indeed change even between when you sign and when you get delivery of the goods, get activated or whatever then you may get a better or worse deal than those signing at that point.

No different to say me buying something online and the firm reduces the price the day after by having a special offer - that's my bad luck.

Actually this is simple case.
Take airlines and hotel rooms where the price is always changing up/down real time depending on how near the flight/room occupancy date you are and whether the flight/hotel is either becoming under booked or is filling up rapidly.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to