User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DRW
(committed) Sun 01-Jun-14 10:50:53
Print Post

Monthly variation in download speed

[link to this post]

I have notice quite a dip in the download speed from about 70mbs to 20mbs

Why does this occur on such a regular basis.
See graph from the Samknows report

http://www.w9259.co.uk/miscpics/downstream%20speed.png

Thanks for any comments or reasons

Edited by DRW (Sun 01-Jun-14 10:51:44)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Jun-14 12:45:47
Print Post

Re: Monthly variation in download speed

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DRW:
I have notice quite a dip in the download speed from about 70mbs to 20mbs

Interesting graph.

Sadly Samknows doesn't capture SYNC speed from your modem/router as well. So its very hard to tell where the issue is, it could be:

* Between your modem and FTTC cabinet - Openreach copper
* Between FTTC cabinet and exchange - Openreach fibre
* Between Openreach GEA and BT Wholesale WBC network
* Between BT Wholesale WBC platform and PlusNet
* Inside PlusNet network
* Between PlusNet and the undisclosed sites that Samknows is using for tests

FWIW, I have a graph from my Samknows box for my BT Infinity connection - although I'm due to move to Plusnet on Tuesday.

http://postimg.org/image/u29084ib9/full/

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
19/5/2014 - just ordered PlusNet Unlimited Fibre - awaiting activation date
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cablemodem trialist) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical BT speedtest
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 01-Jun-14 15:36:21
Print Post

Interesting, I wonder if the problem is being caused by the SamKnows box itself. This happened to me recently (see here) and was cured by powering the SamKnows box off and on. I reported it to Plusnet before I twigged what was causing it and then reported it to SamKnows, who suggested my box might be faulty and offered to replace it, but as it's only happened once and I am alerted to the possibility, I have not bothered. Perhaps your box really is faulty.

Edit: the increase in speeds after the fault was due to interleaving being removed, no connection with the fault AFAIK.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Sun 01-Jun-14 15:38:01)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DRW
(committed) Sun 01-Jun-14 18:11:12
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Thanks for your comments, the Samknows box (in fact all the boxes in the local network) were switched off for an hour in the last 10 days or so as we were having thunderstorms and I disconnect from the telephone line and the power supply when storms occur.
Standard User DRW
(committed) Fri 06-Jun-14 12:46:57
Print Post

No comment from the Plusnet reps.

In the past the awareness of the Samknows facility by the PN reps has been pretty low.

I would have thought it was a useful diagnostic aid.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 06-Jun-14 13:04:44
Print Post

Have you ruled out the SamKnows box as the reason for the drops, e.g. their system is just as likely to see variations due to server conditions as any other speed test really.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DRW
(committed) Fri 06-Jun-14 14:59:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

How can I rule out the Samknows server apart from running speed tests every few hours to see how it compares.

Samknows really should show and average line that a group of users in the same area are experiencing on the same graph perhaps.

Also if the Samknows service is not very good then what value is their reports to the EU or who ever they are reporting to.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 06-Jun-14 15:03:08
Print Post

SamKnows only has 2,000 boxes across the whole UK to monitor all the providers, technologies and locations, so you are likely to be the only one in your exchange area.

Not saying their results are wrong, but like any other speed test they are just one test to help judge things by.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DRW
(committed) Fri 06-Jun-14 15:07:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the insight - I did not know that it was such a small sample.

No wonder they get stroppy when I go away for a week or more and switch off all the modems and routers and disconnect the incoming data line.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Jun-14 15:43:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by DRW:
How can I rule out the Samknows server apart from running speed tests every few hours to see how it compares.

In my case it was easy - with the box (I presume that's what you meant by "server") in circuit, speeds were drastically reduced; with it bypassed they were back to normal. Your situation seems more complex, but if you just bypass the box for a while (maybe a day or two) and see whether the effect continues, you should have a pretty good idea whether it has anything to do with it.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to