User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User timl
(committed) Wed 04-Jun-14 10:39:16
Print Post

Plusnet Current Line speed and BT IP Profile (FTTC)

[link to this post]

<Moan On>

Just a comment on Plusnet's tracking of the BT IP Profile on FTTC...

Why does it track downward trends so avidly but ignores increases in the BT IP Profile...

I know Plusnet can reset it, and they have twice before, but still..
</Moan Off>

Tim

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-Jun-14 11:21:18
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Current Line speed and BT IP Profile (FTTC)

[re: timl] [link to this post]

Well it shouldn't ignore it, mine has tracked it upwards a couple of times recently.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jun-14 11:36:22
Print Post

I wonder the same thing.

my speed drops. PN very kindly put me back to what I had when I connected (78) and it drops again - but 24 hours later I am up above what is possible going by the PN current line profile but it's not changed yet. It only seems to be instant when it's downwards.

Edit:: Also can you get the BTW diagnostics to work? I can't and it's dam annoying!

Edited by pcoventry76 (Wed 04-Jun-14 11:36:45)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User timl
(committed) Wed 04-Jun-14 11:54:54
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

I have no problems running the BTW diagnostics and I copied the information from that onto the Plusnet ticket (86597571)

Without being able to do that I'd have to do the maths from my sync speed, which I guess is what you're having to do.

I've got an HG612 back on the line so that I can track these changes in sync speed and see when they're happening. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who's Plusnet speed doesn't match the BT IP Profile.

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Wed 04-Jun-14 12:02:17
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

We shouldn't be setting you at 78000 as the highest profile you've reached is below this, setting it too high means our traffic management isn't as effective for your line.

Your line is syncing at 77460 and has a profile of 74900 (74800 on our side). This is correct as the profile is 96.7% of your sync.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Wed 04-Jun-14 12:10:14
Print Post

Pete's speed *does* match the sync and profile correctly. I'm taking a look at yours now.

Yours is a bit odd, we've not received a line report for your line for quite a while, hence it not changing. I've manually set the profile now to 96.7% of your sync rate.

Sync= 74.4 Mb/s
Profile= 72 Mb/s

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email

Edited by chrisparr (Wed 04-Jun-14 12:16:35)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jun-14 12:13:33
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chrisparr:
We shouldn't be setting you at 78000 as the highest profile you've reached is below this, setting it too high means our traffic management isn't as effective for your line.

Your line is syncing at 77460 and has a profile of 74900 (74800 on our side). This is correct as the profile is 96.7% of your sync.

Fair enough I was just going on the 78 it started off with.

But thanks for the explanation. It's fantastic in any case.More info than the BT wholesale tester could give me

Edited by pcoventry76 (Wed 04-Jun-14 12:14:03)

(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jun-14 12:14:36
Print Post

Indeed. At least Chris has given me the sync speeds now so I know.
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jun-14 12:15:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by chrisparr:
Pete's speed *does* match the sync and profile correctly. I'm taking a look at yours now.

And my incorrect comment was because I didn't have anything else to go on. I can't see in the TC router the sync speeds like we could on ADSL and I don't know how to get into the ECI Modem. Also with the BTW checker not working.But now I know and agree

I am used to cable where it just syncs at the same speed all the time but,unlike cable, the quality is better on this system so it can be forgiven

Edited by pcoventry76 (Wed 04-Jun-14 12:17:47)

Standard User Philce
(committed) Wed 04-Jun-14 12:20:20
Print Post

Ive NEVER been able to see the BT profile data for my line, always gives an error.

The PN supplied router was continually crashing and was causing disconnects (not line drops) so this was muddying things a little.

I now have a new router that is not rebooting every few hours so stable line, yet I still cant see my profile data!

Im on the Samknows panel and the latest tests are approx 65Mb/15Mb, and according to the portal I should have 78/20.

Why cant I see the BT data? Without this I cant know what my line is synced at????
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to