User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jimbo1966
(newbie) Thu 05-Jun-14 17:24:53
Print Post

Does my father need a MAC code?

[link to this post]

My elderly father has an old Metronet service (Metronet were taken over by Plusnet a long time back). Finally he is exceeding the 500mb monthly allowance he gets on his tariff. His speed is about 0.8Mbps (a long way from the exchange, and on an up to 8Mbps service). Fibre is available in his area.

So we're upgrading him to a Plusnet fibre service. At the same time he wants to shift his telephony from BT to Plusnet.

The Plusnet rep says he needs to get a MAC code from BT. Is that correct for just a telephone service? I thought MAC codes were just for broadband... which of course he already has via Plusnet (Metronet).

Don't really want to send him on a wild goose chase through BT call centres!
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Jun-14 18:08:32
Print Post

Re: Does my father need a MAC code?

[re: jimbo1966] [link to this post]

You don't need a MAC for telephone switch over. I had been success transfer my telephone line from BT to Zen. And from Zen to Plusnet as they never ask me for a MAC.

MAC is for broadband migration only (nothing to do with the phone line)

But, I think Plusnet is correct there because your father want phone line from BT to Plusnet together with the fibre broadband (the MAC is for broadband from Metronet to Plusnet)

Edited by adslmax (Thu 05-Jun-14 18:13:33)

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Jun-14 18:54:41
Print Post

If possible request the MAC and then pass to plus.net to move the lot to them.

IanD

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jimbo1966
(newbie) Thu 05-Jun-14 20:00:32
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
You don't need a MAC for telephone switch over. I had been success transfer my telephone line from BT to Zen. And from Zen to Plusnet as they never ask me for a MAC.

MAC is for broadband migration only (nothing to do with the phone line)

But, I think Plusnet is correct there because your father want phone line from BT to Plusnet together with the fibre broadband (the MAC is for broadband from Metronet to Plusnet)

So on this basis, we shouldn't be asking BT for a MAC, because the broadband is with Metronet (which is Plusnet), not BT?
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Jun-14 20:50:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by jimbo1966:
So on this basis, we shouldn't be asking BT for a MAC, because the broadband is with Metronet (which is Plusnet), not BT?

U only need to ask Metronet for a MAC and give to plusnet with both broadband and line rental order with them.
Standard User flippery
(committed) Thu 05-Jun-14 21:19:32
Print Post

Appears that Metronet is a sister company of Plusnet
http://www.metronet.co.uk/search/portalsearch.html?s...

Gives info
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Jun-14 21:28:56
Print Post

You certainly don't need a BT MAC, as that is applicable to Broadband only.

Since Metronet is now part of PlusNet, I really don't believe you need a MAC for that either - however, I'm not certain!

Because I'm not certain, I've posted a query on PN's Community Forum & asked someone to have a look at your post here - hope that is OK!!

LINKY

Regards,
John
Standard User flippery
(committed) Thu 05-Jun-14 22:20:39
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by johnjburness:
You certainly don't need a BT MAC, as that is applicable to Broadband only.

Since Metronet is now part of PlusNet, I really don't believe you need a MAC for that either - however, I'm not certain!

Because I'm not certain, I've posted a query on PN's Community Forum & asked someone to have a look at your post here - hope that is OK!!

LINKY

Metronet is a sister company of Plusnet and has its own website and trading www.metronet.co.uk Easy to phone there and get answer.
Standard User Promod
(regular) Fri 06-Jun-14 03:15:08
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

I did something similar last year. No MAC was needed as it was an internal migration..

I called the number for existing Plusnet customers 0800 432 0200 then followed the voice prompts for accounts and billing until I got to 'thinking of leaving'. Explained I wanted to transfer my Metronet account over to Plusnet.
The advisor there handled everything for me. Setting up new account etc.

Was even asked at the time if I wanted to transferred my phone over at the same time. I didn't but it ended up getting swallowed up by Plusnet later in the year anyway when they acquired Talk24.
ISP Representative LinnPlusnet
(isp) Fri 06-Jun-14 10:08:50
Print Post

Hi jimbo1966,

I'm very sorry for any confusion caused by this. It is incorrect that your father would need to get a MAC code from BT to transfer the phone line over. He can go ahead and sign up a new Plusnet account and we can migrate the current broadband to the Plusnet account and upgrade him to FTTC in the process if he signs up for one of our FTTC packages. Once the migration is complete we'll transfer the phone over from BT as long as he's signed up for phone with us as well.

Feel free to send me a private message once the account is set up so that I can check on the progress on this.

Regards,

Linn Karstrom
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to