User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Zad
(newbie) Tue 17-Jun-14 05:53:26
Print Post

FTTC - Manual Speed Adjustment?

[link to this post]

I received an email from PN today, and It looks like BT are finally going to fit my FTTC next monday (yay!). However, part of the (what appears to be a standard) email got me puzzled. It says:

"When the engineer completes the work you may not experience fibre speeds straight away. This is because we need to manually adjust your speed profile when the order completes, so the change should be effective within 48 hours. Please be patient with us whilst we do this for you."

I thought it was all automated now? I guess not. Presumably this is not DLM training, but the line activation, which I guess will default to the slowest possible profile on a new line.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 17-Jun-14 08:13:55
Print Post

Re: FTTC - Manual Speed Adjustment?

[re: Zad] [link to this post]

It's the base speed setting entered into the throttling system.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Jun-14 08:43:55
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

It should be set to the highest value for your product on activation but sometimes isn't.
The idea is that the first delta report corrects it
Several things can go wrong with that such as a Plusnet screw up and the engineer failing to mark off the job as completed
You can check the profile here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zad
(newbie) Wed 18-Jun-14 00:06:36
Print Post

Cheers chaps! Its nothing vital, I was just curious. I'll keep that page bookmarked.

Thanks again smile
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Thu 19-Jun-14 00:13:38
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

It did when my parents moved from ADSL Max to ADSL2+ when their local exchange was 21CN'd. They were stuck on the old 6.5/0.445 profile instead of the 18.9/1 profile they now have.
Standard User Zad
(newbie) Tue 24-Jun-14 04:43:42
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Well, FTTC finally got installed on Monday. Initial stats are

BT tester: (up) 38.42Mb (down) 10.51Mb
TBB: 37.52 / 11.54
Ookla 37.8 / 11.64

I'm guessing that the reported speed differences are down to either traffic I wasn't aware of, or just algorithm quirks. I know how inexact speed testing can be.

I wonder if the initial config is limiting the down speed - hopefully the next 48hrs will adjust things for the better. 15Mb to 38Mb doesn't seem that big a step, but it is within the "clean" range of 47.2-34.6Mb quoted though and the speed quoted before installation:

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer... reports:

Estimated line speed:
34Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-05-19 16:49:33
Current line speed: 40 Mb

Ping is rather nice though, initially at 10ms to bbc.co.uk, but later showing 13ms - I wonder if that is because I rebooted the router (but not the modem) a couple of times to move it around.

Edited by Zad (Tue 24-Jun-14 05:34:24)

ISP Representative LinnPlusnet
(isp) Tue 24-Jun-14 09:35:50
Print Post

Hi Zad,

Considering the speeds you're getting are within the acceptable limit range the line probably just needs a few days to stabalise.

If you'd like me to look into your account then please feel free to send me a private message with your username.

Regards,

Linn Karstrom
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Zad
(newbie) Wed 25-Jun-14 05:16:27
Print Post

[re: LinnPlusnet] [link to this post]

Thanks Linn, I will drop you a line in a day or so when the initial 48 hours is up.
  Print Thread

Jump to