User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 1stAde
(learned) Mon 23-Jun-14 16:37:29
Print Post

Homehub 5

[link to this post]

Was debating between BT Broadband and Plusnet for fibre when I move. Wanted to try BT for BT sports, and because they provide a Homehub but chose Plusnet because I am already with them, and have had good support, and they are cheaper. However my new house has little room and I am losing a "study" I use for my PCs, monitor, NAS and router, and so liked the idea of the Homehub as the single device, and so can sit in my living room easier (it really is a small living room), and also provide me the gig ports.
I mentioned to Plusnet that I might buy a HH5 (I see lots on ebay) and they stated it wasn't compatible. The HH3 is apparently but not the 4 or 5. Is this true?
If so are there other all in one modem & routers we can use with gig ports?

Thanks
Adrian.

Plusnet 2Mg -
Speedtouch 510 v4 - V.Good
AMD 2.1Ghz
768Mb Ram
Standard User goatty2
(member) Mon 23-Jun-14 16:52:09
Print Post

Re: Homehub 5

[re: 1stAde] [link to this post]

I have the hh5 and have been using it on plusnet fibre since the begining of the year.
the wifi is good
the only problem I have is that it reboots every 14 days give or take an hour
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 23-Jun-14 19:09:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by 1stAde:
I mentioned to Plusnet that I might buy a HH5 (I see lots on ebay) and they stated it wasn't compatible
So much for "good support" laugh

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Jun-14 19:44:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by 1stAde:
If so are there other all in one modem & routers we can use with gig ports?

Does it have to be an all-in-one device? They all seem to have issues. If you can go with the Openreach VDSL modem and a router, then something like the Asus RT-AC68U or the RT-N66U or the TP-Link equivalents should be good? PCPro this month has a set of reviews on AC routers.

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Jun-14 20:26:15
Print Post

[re: goatty2] [link to this post]

I've used the HH5 with Plusnet FTTC and it works OK - except, as goatty2, mentions it magically reboots even with the latest firmware(unless they've solved the issue in the last couple of weeks).
Standard User 1stAde
(learned) Wed 02-Jul-14 10:43:51
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

Thanks All.

Is the problem with the HH5 rebooting an issue with the HH5 full stop, or just an issue whilst using it with Plusnet?

Regards
Adrian

Plusnet 12Mg
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 02-Jul-14 11:21:12
Print Post

HH5 full stop.

It's gone a bit quiet on the BT forum, but a few weeks back there was a lot about it. IIRC there is a way of stopping it doing it, but I'm not sure.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 02-Jul-14 11:22:00)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 02-Jul-14 12:42:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

One fix is to use the Openreach modem, plug that into the HH5 and use the HH5 as a router only.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Bapteeed
(regular) Wed 02-Jul-14 12:53:14
Print Post

3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 25/12/13
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime: 20 days, 02:38:16

this firmware version works perfectly had it since the trial and its been fine, so try and get one with the same firmware if possible
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Jul-14 14:47:06
Print Post

[re: goatty2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by goatty2:
the only problem I have is that it reboots every 14 days give or take an hour

+1 this is rather annoying - that's why I sold my home hub 5 on ebay for £90 sold off. Brought it off ebay £60 so I made myself a profit of £30 wink
  Print Thread

Jump to