User comments on ISPs
  >> PlusNet plc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Jun-14 13:43:07
Print Post

PlusNet here I come

[link to this post]

I have just requested my MAC from BT. I am currently on Infinity2 and intend to come to PlusNet on Fibre Extra (Unlimited), this should be straightforward I hope with no engineer required.

I hope all goes smoothly, I shall be filling in the online form as soon as BT provide my MAC. I shall also be moving my phoneline. In which order is the transfer of BB and Phoneline done, BB then phone or the other way round?

This is my first migration for a while (2011 was my last I think), are there any gotcha's to look out for?

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity 2
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 25-Jun-14 17:28:58
Print Post

Re: PlusNet here I come

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

BB first then phone a couple of weeks or so later.

You will probably get stuff about an engineer visit. It doesn't happen.

It's worth taking the "free" router as a standby or test gear, for the sake of the P & P, even if you don't intend to use it.

Don't forget to go through a cashback site, having cleared cookies or use a clean browser. Unless you intend to use someone else as a referrer. I don't think you can do both. Though maybe you can. It would be an illogical combination and risk losing the cashback, unless someone else knows it works.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 25-Jun-14 17:30:53)

Standard User beardedwonder
(regular) Wed 25-Jun-14 17:33:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

With topcashback you cannot get the cashback and be referred.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Jun-14 18:52:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by TheHorseman:
This is my first migration for a while (2011 was my last I think), are there any gotcha's to look out for?

I did just the same at the start of the month, went live on PN on 2nd June.

Only issue I had was when ordering the website couldn't give me a speed estimate (no idea why, BT wholesale site worked) but I continued. This meant that PN set me up on the 40/10 profile, rather than the 80/20, so I dropped about 12megabit in speed. It was quickly fixed by raising it on the community forum.

I'm pretty sure PN shows more congestion effects in the evenings than BT - using the TBB speedtest you can see slowdowns on the single threaded test (tbb) and not on the HTTPx6 test. This only happens in the 'peak hours' and its very very variable. It will be interesting to see how the network copes with iOS 8 release - usually the peak load for ISPs according to many blogs smile

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Jun-14 18:57:37
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Will be interesting to see with version 0.956 whether more people get the warnings about variable speeds, and also how the underlying metric we create compares between providers smile

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Jun-14 19:23:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Will be interesting to see with version 0.956 whether more people get the warnings about variable speeds, and also how the underlying metric we create compares between providers smile

Yes, I saw your comments about the new version the other day in TTTS, and haven't yet seen any warnings. smile

15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Jun-14 21:13:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Only issue I had was when ordering the website couldn't give me a speed estimate (no idea why, BT wholesale site worked) but I continued. This meant that PN set me up on the 40/10 profile, rather than the 80/20, so I dropped about 12megabit in speed. It was quickly fixed by raising it on the community forum.

Hmm, I checked what the speed would be and it could not give me an answer either. BT's estimate has always been low for my line. I think that they are quoting around 59Mbps but my sync is 79999/19999. It is possible that the same thing could happen to me.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Jun-14 22:35:48
Print Post

Hmm, I checked what the speed would be and it could not give me an answer either. BT's estimate has always been low for my line. I think that they are quoting around 59Mbps but my sync is 79999/19999. It is possible that the same thing could happen to me.

Its always possible the PN website is not getting the right response for those with existing services. Its something they can fix fast anyway if you get on the wrong profile.

I didn't bother with the PN router, I had to pay P&P for the BT hub I've never used, and I have my own superior Asus AC router anyway smile

(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Jun-14 09:46:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I didn't bother with the PN router, I had to pay P&P for the BT hub I've never used, and I have my own superior Asus AC router anyway smile

I don't intend to get it either as I too have a BT HomeHub from when my Infinity was first installed. It was only used for the initial setup and then put back in its box where it remains. I have been using my Airport Extreme Basestation since the installers left.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Jun-14 23:05:49
Print Post

I don't intend to get it either as I too have a BT HomeHub from when my Infinity was first installed. It was only used for the initial setup and then put back in its box where it remains. I have been using my Airport Extreme Basestation since the installers left.

Good choice, I had an extreme 5th gen for 6 months, but sold it to get a more flexible device. I found the 5GHz range better on the Asus kit, but the apple box is rock solid. Although now Apple have stopped supporting the Windows configuration tool, I would only suggest Mac users buy one. (or those who are happy to configure via iPad).

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to